|Founded||30 April 1866|
|Country of origin||Germany|
|Key people||Leopold Freiherr von und zu Weiler[non-primary source needed]|
|Revenue||64.1 million Euros[non-primary source needed]|
|No. of employees||328|
Kohlhammer Verlag was founded in Stuttgart on 30 April 1866 by Wilhelm Kohlhammer. Kohlhammer had taken over the businesses of his late father-in-law, a 120-year-old printer and a profitable bathhouse. The printing business, operating out of the back of a commercial building at 14 Urbanstrasse, became W. Kohlhammer Verlag and was funded by proceeds from the bathhouse until it was closed in 1890. Kohlhammer purchased the Deutsche Feuerwehrzeitung in 1882 and printed that publication until 1923. In 1872 Kohlhammer started a weekly newspaper, the Neue Deutsche Familienblatt that by 1914 had a circulation of 185,000.[non-primary source needed]
Employees of Kohlhammer joined those of other Stuttgart-based companies in early 2016 to petition the mayor to abate traffic congestion hindering their operations inside the city.
In anticipation of the 2018 ban on diesel vehicles in Stuttgart, Kohlhammer ordered three smart vehicles with pure electric drive to service central Stuttgart.
It has a maintenance contract with Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG which supports its three Speedmaster XL 106 eight-color presses.
In 2019 it moved to a paper packaging system developed with Hugo Beck Maschinenbau GmbH which is more environmentally friendly and durable than the foil previously used. The wrappers are individually printed on the company's inkjet roller, a Truepress Jet 520 HD, before packaging. This fits the growing public awareness of sustainability.
In addition to publishing, the company is also involved with electronic communications and media, data storage, and printing.
Kohlhammer Verlag's science program is its Urban paperbacks line, founded in 1953 by Fritz Ernst, making it the first scientific paperback serial in Germany. A well-known series in Germany, it covers subjects including history, psychology, education, theology, and philosophy.
- "Impressum" [Imprint] (in German). Kohlhammer Verlag. Retrieved 4 February 2020.
- From financial statements to the Bundesanzeiger for 2014
- "Die Unternehmensgruppe Kohlhammer (lang)" [The Kohlhammer Group (long)] (in German). Kohlhammer Verlag. Retrieved 20 July 2020.
- "Deutsche Feuerwehr-Zeitung: technische Blätter für die deutschen Feuerwehren" [Deutsche Feuerwehr-Zeitung: technical bulletins for German fire departments]. Zeitschriften Datenbank (in German). Retrieved 20 July 2020.
- Ott, Rüdiger (15 March 2016). "Unternehmen fordern Stadt zum Handeln auf" [Companies urge the city to act]. Stuttgarter Zeitung (in German). Retrieved 20 July 2020.
- Lohmann, Frank (13 July 2017). "Kohlhammer Druck: Servicebüro im Allgäu" [Kohlhammer Druck: Service office in the Allgäu] (in German). Print.de. Retrieved 20 July 2020.
- "Heidelberg: Kohlhammer setzt auf E-Mobilität" [Heidelberg: Kohlhammer relies on e-mobility]. Print.de. 30 August 2018. Retrieved 20 July 2020.
- "Intelligent Service Concepts from Heidelberg Support Print Shops Even in Challenging Times". What they think. 18 May 2020. Retrieved 20 July 2020.
- "Druckprodukte verpacken: Kohlhammer setzt auf Papier statt Folie" [Packaging printed products: Kohlhammer relies on paper instead of film]. Print.de. 13 February 2020. Retrieved 20 July 2020.