Kanglei mythology or Manipuri mythology or Meitei mythology are the body of narrative myths, originally told by the Meitei people and a genre of Ancient Meetei folklore. Kanglei mythology forms one of the main characteristics of the art and culture of Manipur including Meitei literature.
There are sources from both the manuscript as well as oral folklore in ancient kingdom of Kangleipak (present day Manipur). The so-called manuscripts are known as Puya (Meitei texts), which are the original accounts on the religious themes as well as historical events of the Meitei literature. Wakoklon Heelel Thilen Salai Amailon Pukok Puya, Sanamahi Laihui and Numit Kappa the most prestigious Puya (Meitei texts) in the Kanglei Meitei mythology.
The Kanglei Meitei deities, are always associated with the Meitei religion, which has been in existence since ancient times in the Kanglei World. The traditional culture and folklore is inherited by the Meitei people from their primitive ancestors till present.
The primary deities in the mythology are:
- Atiya Guru Sidaba: He is the Creator God of the entire universe, and the sole breeder of all the living beings.
- Sanamahi: He is the Guardian God of the mankind and the household. He created the human beings in the figure of the Almighty.
- Pakhangba: He is the destroyer and the ruler of the universe. He can assume both human as well as serpentine figure.
- Leimarel Sidabi: She is the supreme mother earth goddess and the consort of the creator God.
- Emoinu: She is the goddess of wealth and prosperity. Legend says she's an exact copy of Leimarel, who takes another divine form.
In addition to these, the mythology also accounts for the vast numbers of deities as well as mythical creatures. The Kanglei Meitei mythical creatures are found in the vast narratives of both the PuYas as well as Meetei folklore.
Origin of human beingsEdit
|ꯈꯥ ꯉꯥꯟꯄ||Kha Nganpa|
|ꯁꯂꯥꯢ ꯂꯩꯁꯥꯡꯊꯦꯝ||Salai Leishangthem|
The legendary epic tales of the seven incarnations of Lord Nongpok Ningthou and his consort Goddess Panthoibi, in the ancient kingdom of Moirang, are the main features of the Kanglei Meitei mythology, with Khamba Thoibi incarnation, being the last and most significant one. The very incarnations of the Lord and the Lady respectively are as follows:
|Male characters||Romanization||Female characters||Romanization|
|ꯑꯀꯣꯡꯆꯥꯝꯄ||Akongjamba||ꯐꯧꯑꯣꯢꯕꯤ ꯂꯥꯢꯔꯦꯝꯕꯤ||Phouoibi Lairembi|
|ꯈꯨꯌꯣꯜ ꯍꯥꯎꯕ||Khuyol Haoba||ꯌꯥꯢꯊꯤꯡ ꯀꯣꯅꯨ||Yaithing Konu|
|ꯊꯥꯡꯖꯍꯟꯕ||Thangjahanba||ꯇꯣꯅꯨ ꯂꯥꯢꯖꯤꯡꯂꯦꯝꯕꯤ||Tonu Laijinglembi|
|ꯋꯥꯡꯂꯦꯟ ꯄꯨꯡꯇꯤꯡꯍꯩꯕ||Wanglei Pudingheiba||ꯁꯥꯠꯄ ꯆꯅꯨ ꯁꯤꯜꯍꯩꯕꯤ||Satpa Chanu Silheibi|
Here is a list of characters associated with the Kanglei Meitei mythology in alphabetical order: