This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Kaho Shimada (島田歌穂, Shimada Kaho, born September 19, 1963) is a Japanese singer and musical theater actress. Born and raised in Minato, Tokyo, she attended Tokyo Municipal Jonan High School. She is an assistant professor of drama at the Osaka University of Arts located in Osaka Prefecture, Japan.
Shimada debuted as an actress at the age of eleven in Ganbare!! Robocon (1974–1977) as Robin-chan.
She is best known for her role as Éponine in the Tokyo production of Les Misérables, which she portrayed in English on the album Les Misérables - The Complete Symphonic Recording. Shimada did not speak any English at all, and learned her entire role in English phonetically for the recording.
In 2013, she played the role of Catherine in the British musical Tomorrow Morning at Theatre Creation, Yūrakuchō, Chiyoda, Tokyo - the Japanese premiere of the award-winning internationally acclaimed show by Laurence Mark Wythe. Her performance was watched by British Queen Elizabeth II.
- Cinderella (1982)
- Les Misérables - Eponine (Original Japanese Cast, 1987-2001, 2005, 2007, 2011)
- Annie Get Your Gun - Annie Oakley (1988)
- She Loves Me - Ilona Ritter (1988)
- Sweet Charity - Charity Hope (1992)
- Fiddler on the Roof - Tzeitel (2001)
- The Rink (1998-2000)
- And the World Goes 'Round (1998)
- Blood Brothers - Mrs. Johnstone (2003)
- West Side Story - Maria (2004)
- The Beggar's Opera - Lucy Lockit (2006-2008)
- The Light in the Piazza - Margaret Johnson (2007)
- Zorro - Inez (2011)
- Tomorrow Morning - Catherine (2013)
- Billy Elliot - Mrs. Wilkinson (2015-2017)
- Mary Poppins - Bird Woman and Mrs. Andrew (2018)