Joseph Knauer (December 1, 1764 in Czerwony Strumień, Kingdom of Prussia - 16 May 1844, Breslaw, Kingdom of Prussia) was great dean of Kladsko from 1808 to 1843 and Catholic Bishop of Wrocław from 1843 to 1844.
|Bishop of Breslaw|
|In office||23 April 1843–16 May 1844|
|Ordination||7 March 1789|
|Consecration||23 April 1843|
|Born||1 December 1764|
Czerwony Strumień, Kingdom of Prussia
|Died||16 May 1844 (aged 79)|
Breslau, Kingdom of Prussia
|Alma mater||University of Wroclaw|
Childhood and youthEdit
He was born into a family of poor cottagers from Czerwony Strumień on December 1, 1764. His parents were Jan Knauer and Teresa Lux. After graduating from elementary school in Międzylesie he continued his education at a Catholic high school in Wroclaw. He earned his living as a chorister and through a private tutor, he could began his studies in philosophy and theology at the University of Wrocław.
Pastoral work in the county of KladskoEdit
On March 7, 1789 Knauer was ordained priest, after which he was sent to Międzylesie, where he served as a chaplain. In 1794 he was appointed parish priest of the Marian Shrine in Wambierzyce and in 1814 he was appointed parish priest in Bystrzyca Kłodzka.
Grand Dean of KladskoEdit
In 1808 while still a priest he was nominated by the King of Prussia Frederick William III of Prussia grand dean of the earldom, a position he filled on January 16, 1809 when Archbishop of Prague, Wilhelm Florentin Fürst von Salm appointed him archbishop's vicar of the County of Kladsko. In 1810, the name for the Dean of Klatsko was renamed to Großdechant. Since this was merely a title of honor to which no authority was given, Knauer doubted its purpose. During his bishopric, Pope Pius VII, issued the bull De salute animarum on July 16, 1821 which confirmed the membership of the Kłodzko to the archbishopric of Prague, but also introduced a stronger link between the Deanery of the Diocese of Wroclaw. and each dean was to become an honorary canon of Wrocław. Knauer was then chosen as priest from Kladsko land.
In 1837 the faculty of theology of the University of Wroclaw awarded him with an honorary doctorate. On 27 August 1841 Knauer became a member of the Wroclaw Cathedral's chapter.
Roman Catholic Bishop of Breslau and deathEdit
Knauer was already very old. During his brief reign he was in conflict with a German national church founded by Fr. Johannes Ronge. He died on May 16, 1844 in Wroclaw, and was buried in the basement of Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Wrocław.
- Pater, Józef, Poczet biskupów wrocławskich , Wrocław 2000, DTSK Silesia, 2000, p. 143, https://books.google.cz/books/about/Poczet_biskupów_wrocławskich.html?id=IEAmAQAAIAAJ&redir_esc=y&hl=pt-BR.
- Herzig A., M. Ruchniewicz, History of the Kłodzko Region, Hamburg-Wroclaw 2006.
- Franz Heinrich Reusch: Knauer, Joseph. In: General German Biography (ADB). Volume 16, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1882, p. 269 f, https://de.m.wikisource.org/wiki/ADB:Knauer,_Joseph.
- The County of Glatz. Volume V. Lüdenscheid 1968.
- Staff schematics of the Catholic clergy from the county of Glatz. 1994.
- Michael Hirschfeld: Joseph Knauer, Grand Dean of the County of Glatz and Prince-Bishop of Wroclaw. In: AGG-Mitteilungen, Vol. 15 (2016), pp. 1–10.
- Pater J., Poczet biskupów wrocławskich, Wrocław 2000.
- Herzig, Arno; Ruchniewicz, Małgorzata. Dzieje Ziemi Kłodzkiej, wyd. DOBU/Oficyna Wydawnicza Atut, Hamburg-Wrocław 2006, ISBN 9788374322836. p.207.
- 1972 r. hrabstwo kłodzkie należało do archidiecezji praskiej.
- Herzig A., M. Ruchniewicz, Dzieje Ziemi Kłodzkiej, Hamburg-Wrocław 2006. p367.