John Meyers (loyalist)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
He was born Johannes Waltermyer in Albany County, New York on January 22, 1745. He was descended from German immigrants. When the American Revolutionary War began, he left home for Quebec, reportedly receiving bear meat from a friendly native tribe en route. In 1777, he joined the army of Major-General John Burgoyne and served as a recruiter for the loyalist forces, also collecting information for the British and carrying dispatches.
In 1781, he led an unsuccessful raid on the house of Philip Schuyler. Later that year, Meyers became a captain in Edward Jessup's Loyal Rangers. After the war, he was offered a land grant and first settled on Lake Champlain, but was later forced by the British to move further north along the north shore of Lake Ontario in 1785. He was named a justice of the peace in 1788.
In 1790, he settled in Thurlow Township where he built a gristmill near the mouth of Meyer's Creek, now the Moira River. He had one of only two brick houses in Ontario at the time. The community that sprung up there, first known as Meyer's Creek, was renamed Belleville in 1816. Meyers also built a sawmill, distillery and brick kiln and established a trading post at Meyer's Creek. He built boats and provided transportation between the area and Kingston, Upper Canada and Montreal, Lower Canada. Meyers later helped prepare a report for the township in response to the questionnaires distributed by Robert Gourlay and his son attended Gourlay's convention in York, Upper Canada in 1818.
He lived to the age of 76, dying of fever in Belleville on November 22, 1821.`