|Born||December 29, 1964|
|High school||Northmor (Galion, Ohio)|
|1999–2000||Wabash Valley CC|
|2003–2005||Portland Trail Blazers (assistant)|
|2005–2009||Philadelphia 76ers (assistant)|
|2009–2011||New Jersey Nets (assistant)|
|2011–2014||Detroit Pistons (assistant)|
|2014||Detroit Pistons (interim HC)|
Loyer graduated from Northmor High School in Galion, Ohio in 1983. Loyer was the leading scorer for Northmor as a senior. He played college basketball at the University of Akron from 1983 to 1987 and graduated from Akron in 1988 with a degree in social studies. In 1987, he began his career as assistant coach at Akron under Bob Huggins. In 1989, Loyer followed Huggins to the University of Cincinnati and served as assistant coach until 1999. Loyer got his first head coaching job at Wabash Valley College in 1999 and coached there for one season.
In 2000, Loyer became video coordinator for the NBA's Portland Trail Blazers. From 2001 to 2003, Loyer was an advance scout for the Blazers, then was an assistant coach from 2003 to 2005 under Maurice Cheeks. Loyer then followed Cheeks to the Philadelphia 76ers and was an assistant coach from 2005 to 2009. After Cheeks was fired during the 2008–09 season, Loyer stayed on the staff of interim head coach Tony DiLeo.
Loyer became an assistant coach for the Detroit Pistons in 2011 and again served on the staff of Lawrence Frank. He became reunited with Maurice Cheeks after Cheeks became head coach in 2013.
Head coaching recordEdit
|Regular season||G||Games coached||W||Games won||L||Games lost||W–L %||Win–loss %|
|Playoffs||PG||Playoff games||PW||Playoff wins||PL||Playoff losses||PW–L %||Playoff win–loss %|
|Detroit||2013–14||32||8||24||.250||4th in Central||—||—||—||—||Missed Playoffs|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to John Loyer.|
- "Mansfield area boys net special awards". Mansfield News-Journal. August 18, 1977. p. 27. Retrieved February 13, 2014.
- Hispanos NBA: John Loyer
- Ellis, Vince (February 10, 2014). "Northmor grad Loyer to take shot at guiding Pistons". Mansfield News Journal. Archived from the original on February 11, 2014. Retrieved February 10, 2014. The original version on the Detroit Free Press, "Assistant coach John Loyer to take shot at guiding Pistons", did not include Loyer's high school information.
- "1982-83 Morrow County Boys Basketball Scores". crawfordcountybasketball.com. Archived from the original on 2014-02-23. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- "NBA.com John Loyer". nba.com. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- "1983-84 Akron Zips Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com". sports-reference.com. Archived from the original on 2014-02-21. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- "1986-87 Akron Zips Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com". sports-reference.com. Archived from the original on 2014-02-21. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- Langlois, Keith (November 30, 2011). "Long-ago college ties led to NBA connection for Frank, Loyer". Detroit Pistons. Retrieved February 10, 2014.
- Mayo, David (February 10, 2014). "Detroit Pistons interim coach John Loyer confident that players know and trust him". MLive.com. Retrieved February 10, 2014.