John F. Kennedy Catholic School (Ohio)
John F. Kennedy Catholic School, often referred to as Warren JFK, is a private, Catholic school in Warren, Ohio, United States. It is owned and operated by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Youngstown and is divided into two campuses: the Upper Campus for grades 6–12 and the Lower Campus for grades K–5. The school athletic teams are known as the Eagles. The current building opened in 1964 as a replacement for St. Mary High School and was known as John F. Kennedy High School. Initial plans called for the new building to be named Annunciation High School, but after the assassination of John F. Kennedy in 1963, area Catholics asked the diocese to name the new school after Kennedy. In 2007, the school expanded to grades K-12 and was renamed John F. Kennedy Catholic School by adding the former Blessed Sacrament School. A junior high school program for 7th and 8th grades was added to the high school building, which was renamed the Upper Campus, while the former Blessed Sacrament School was renamed the Lower Campus for grades K–6. Later, 6th grade was moved to the Upper Campus. As of the 2017–18 school year, the school serves approximately 600 students in grades K–12, with over 300 at the Upper Campus.
|John F. Kennedy Catholic School|
2550 Central Parkway Avenue SE
|Motto||Dedication ∙ Courage ∙ Integrity|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Oversight||Roman Catholic Diocese of Youngstown|
|NCES School ID||A0108643|
|Age||12 to 18|
|Color(s)||Red, Navy blue, White|
|Athletics conference||Portage Trail Conference|
|Accreditation||Ohio Catholic School Accrediting Association, Ohio Department of Education|
Clubs and activitiesEdit
- Mock Trial
- National Honor Society
- Relay for Life
- Student Senate
- Speech and Debate
- Spirit Club
- Key Club
- PREP Programs
From 2010 to 2014, each spring, the school put on a variety show encompassing aspects of both the performing arts and a visual art display. The show is called Kennedy Honors Excellence in the Arts, and was modeled after the Kennedy Center Honors that take place annually in Washington DC. The event showcased the talents of students in the areas of visual, vocal, instrumental and acting performance. In addition, the show paid tribute to an individual who has greatly benefited performing arts at JFK. Since 2015, the variety show has been rebranded Fiddlesticks and become almost entirely student-run.
Kennedy has a tuition assistance program for students in Grades K–12.
Kennedy varsity sports include:
- Boys' and girls' soccer
- Boys' and girls' cross country
- Boys' and girls' tennis
- Boys' and girls' golf
- Boys' and girls' basketball
- Boys' and girls' track and field
- Boys' and girls' bowling
- "Search for Private Schools – School Detail for JOHN F KENNEDY CATHOLIC SCHOOL UPPER CAMPUS". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved August 13, 2020.
- Sheehan, Pete (September 14, 2014). "JFK celebrates change and constancy at 50th anniversary". The Catholic Exponent. Roman Catholic Diocese of Youngstown. Retrieved August 13, 2020.
- "The Kennedy Experience - John F. Kennedy Catholic School". www.warrenjfk.com. Retrieved October 6, 2015.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Football". Archived from the original on January 13, 2007. Retrieved February 12, 2007.