Johannes Tuchel (born 20 December 1957) is a German political scientist. He is currently head of the German Resistance Memorial Centre ("Gedenkstätte Deutscher Widerstand") museum and chief executive of the foundation responsible for it.
|Known for||Chief executive, German Resistance Memorial Centre|
Tuchel was born in Hamburg. Between 1977 and 1981 he studied political science at Hamburg and at the Free University of Berlin where in 1989 he received his doctorate in political science. His dissertation "Concentration Camps: Organisational and Operational History of the Concentration Camp Inspectorate 1934-1938" "Konzentrationslager: Organisationsgeschichte und Funktion der "Inspektion der Konzentrationslager" 1934-1938") formed the basis for what became a standard work on concentration camps in Nazi Germany.
While preparing to submit his dissertation, Tuchel worked as a research assistant at the German Resistance Memorial Centre from 1983 to 1987. Between 1988 and 1991 he was employed on memorial presentation by the Berlin senate. Since 1991 he has headed up the German Resistance Memorial Centre. Since 1992 he has simultaneously held a teaching post at the Otto Suhr Political Sciences Institute at the Free University of Berlin, being promoted to the status of Privatdozent in 2001, and becoming Professor for Political and Social Sciences at the Free University in 2007.
- "Nazi Scandal: Gestapo Chief Reportedly Buried in Jewish Cemetery". Der Spiegel (online international). 31 October 2013. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- "Struktur .... Leitung .... Prof. Dr. Johannes Tuchel, geboren 1957". Gedenkstätte Deutscher Widerstand. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- "Struktur .... Unter dem Namen "Stiftung Gedenkstätte Deutscher Widerstand" wurde". Gedenkstätte Deutscher Widerstand. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- Johannes Tuchel (1 March 1996). Konzentrationslager: Organisationsgeschichte und Funktion der "Inspektion der Konzentrationslager" 1934-1938. Oldenbourg Wissenschaftsverlag. ISBN 978-3-486-41902-3.
- "Prof. Dr. Johannes Tuchel: M.A. in Holocaust Communication and Tolerance". Touro College Berlin. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- "Prof. Dr. Johannes Tuchel: Fachbereich Politik- und Sozialwissenschaften". Freie Universität Berlin. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- "Gesamter Bestand [Johannes Tuchel]". Deutsche Nationalbibliothek, Frankfurt am Main. Retrieved 1 January 2016.