Jeffrey S. Gurock
Jeffrey S. Gurock is Libby M. Klaperman Professor of Jewish History at Yeshiva University. He has written over a dozen books in the field of American Jewish history and also served as associate editor to American Jewish History, the most important journal in that field, from 1982 to 2002. His work focuses on the American Orthodox community and the variations in Orthodox practice and ritual over the course of American Jewish history. His books include Orthodox Jews in America (Indiana University Press, 2009), a comprehensive social and cultural history of this group and its relations to other Jews and mainstream American society, and Jews in Gotham (New York University Press, 2012), which chronicles New York Jewry from 1920 to 2010.
For its 135th annual gala in 2015, CCNY honored Dr. Gurock as one of its distinguished alumni
- "Dr. Jeffrey S. Gurock". Dr. Jeffrey S. Gurock official website. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- Katz, Debra E. (September 13, 2008). "Led by Chabad, diverse group of Jews make up new presence in Harlem". New York Daily News. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- "CCNY Honors Phylicia Rashad and Six Distinguished Alumni at Annual Gala". October 21, 2015. Retrieved 2016-11-24.
- "A Modern Heretic and a Traditional Community: Mordecai M. Kaplan, Orthodoxy, and American Judaism." (book review), Shargel, Baila R. “American Jewish History.” American Jewish History, vol. 87, no. 4, 1999, pp. 404–408 [www.jstor.org/stable/23886240].
- "A Modern Heretic and a Traditional Community: Mordecai M. Kaplan, Orthodoxy, and American Judaism." (book review) Goldsmith, Emanuel S. “AJS Review.” AJS Review, vol. 24, no. 1, 1999, pp. 171–174. [www.jstor.org/stable/1486540].
- "A Modern Heretic and a Traditional Community: Mordecai M. Kaplan, Orthodoxy, and American Judaism." (book review), Starr, David B. “Jewish Political Studies Review.” Jewish Political Studies Review, vol. 10, no. 1/2, 1998, pp. 138–141. [www.jstor.org/stable/25834422].
- "American Judaism by Jeffrey S. Gurock, Jacob J. Schacter, Book Review by: Richard Libowitz, Shofar, Vol. 16, No. 4, Special Issue: The Spectrum of Jewish Feminism (SUMMER 1998), pp. 110-112
Ruttman, Larry (2013). "Jeffrey Gurock: Professor of Jewish History at Yeshiva University, Orthodox Jew, and Sportsman". American Jews and America's Game: Voices of a Growing Legacy in Baseball. Lincoln, Nebraska and London, England: University of Nebraska Press. pp. 429–437. ISBN 978-0-8032-6475-5. In this chapter in Ruttman's oral history, based on a November 17, 2009 interview for the book, Gurock discusses his lifelong interest in and participation in sports as well as the history and future of Judaism and baseball.
|This biography of an American historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|