Jean-Pierre Bourguignon in 2017.
|Born||21 July 1947|
|Alma mater||École Polytechnique|
Paris Diderot University
|Doctoral advisor||Marcel Berger|
|Doctoral students||Osmo Pekonen|
Born in Lyon, he studied at École Polytechnique in Palaiseau, graduating in 1969. For his graduate studies he went to Paris Diderot University, where he obtained his Ph.D. in 1974 under the direction of Marcel Berger.
He was president of the Société Mathématique de France from 1990 to 1992. From 1995 to 1998, he was president of the European Mathematical Society. He was director of the Institut des Hautes Études Scientifiques near Paris from 1994 to 2013. Between 1 January 2014 and 31 December 2019 he was the President of the European Research Council.
Prof. Bourguignon received the Prix Paul Langevin in 1987 and the Prix du Rayonnement Français in Mathematical Sciences and Physics from the Académie des Sciences de Paris in 1997. He is a foreign member of the Royal Spanish Academy of Sciences. In 2005, he was elected honorary member of the London Mathematical Society and has been the secretary of the mathematics section of the Academia Europaea.
- Bourguignon, Jean-Pierre; Brezis, Haïm (1974). "Remarks on the Euler equation". Journal of Functional Analysis. 15 (4): 341–363. doi:10.1016/0022-1236(74)90027-5. MR 0344713.
- with H. Blaine Lawson and James Simons: "Stability and gap phenomena for Yang-Mills fields". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 76 (4): 1550–1553. 1979. doi:10.1073/pnas.76.4.1550.
- with H. Blaine Lawson: "Stability and isolation phenomena for Yang-Mills fields". Communications in Mathematical Physics. 79 (2): 189–230. 1981. doi:10.1007/BF01942061.
- with Jean-Pierre Ezin: "Scalar curvature functions in a conformal class of metrics and conformal transformations". Transactions of the American Mathematical Society. 301 (2): 723–736. 1987. doi:10.1090/S0002-9947-1987-0882712-7.
- Bourguignon, Jean-Pierre (2007). Calcul variationnel (in French). Palaiseau: Éditions de l'École Polytechnique. 328 pages. ISBN 978-2-7302-1415-5. MR 2490159.
- with Oussama Hijazi, Jean-Louis Milhorat, and Sergiu Moroianu: A Spinorial Approach to Riemannian and Conformal Geometry. European Mathematical Society. 2015. ISBN 978-3-03719-136-1.
- as editor with Rolf Jeltsch, Alberto Adrego Pinto, and Marcelo Viana: Dynamics, Games and Science: International Conference and Advanced School Planet Earth, DGS II, Portugal, August 28–September 6, 2013. Springer. 24 July 2015. ISBN 978-3-319-16118-1.
- Jean-Pierre Bourguignon at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Bourguignon, Jean-Pierre (24 March 2017). "Abstract for When Fundamental Discoveries Meet Daily Life (France-HKUST innovation hub inaugural lecture)". Digital University Archives, HKUST Library. Institute for Advanced Study.