|Born||1946 (age 74–75)|
|Known for||Publication design|
She was a designer of Heresies, a feminist journal that was produced from 1977 to 1993 by the New York-based Heresies Collective. Froelich was featured in The Heretics, a film that examines the inside story of the "second wave" of the Women's Movement.
Froelich worked for The New York Times for 22 years, serving as creative director for The New York Times Magazine, as well as T: The New York Times Style Magazine. As art director at The New York Times, she was involved in the development of the New York Times Magazine cover illustration that led to the "Tribute in Light" memorial to the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack in New York City. Also during her time as art director at the Times, she decided to use a controversial photo of photographer and breast-cancer survivor Matuschka to illustrate a story on the politics of breast cancer. The cover photo, which ran in 1993, sparked controversy due to its graphic nature.
Froelich's work has appeared in the annuals of the AIGA, the Type Directors Club, Graphis, Print, American Photography and American Illustration. She has been featured in Print Magazine, where she was interviewed by Steven Heller, as well as Creative Review.
In 2006, Froelich was inducted into the Art Directors Hall of Fame. She has also been honored by Hall of Femmes, an organization that highlights the work of women in art direction and design. Froelich's career in graphic design was part of Women of Design: Influence And Inspiration From The Original Trailblazers To The New Groundbreakers (HOW Books 2009 ISBN 1600610854)
- Breuer, Gerda; Meer, Julia (2012). Women in graphic design 1890-2012 = Frauen und Grafik-Design [1890-2012] (2nd rev. and corr. ed.). Berlin: Jovis. p. 449. ISBN 9783868591538. OCLC 825553454.
- Amos, Emma; Applebroog, Ida; Beckert, Patsy; Braderman, Joan (2009-10-01), The Heretics, retrieved 2017-03-18
- Clifford, Stephanie (2010-03-08). "Real Simple Commissions Clocks for Its Cover". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-03-18.
- "Annual "Tribute in Light" installation returns to NYC tonight - reVerb". reVerb. 2015-09-11. Retrieved 2017-03-18.
- Peterson, Pia (2018-08-15). "The Times Magazine Cover That Beamed a Light on a Movement". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-06-03.
- "Janet Froelich @ Hall of Femmes". Print Magazine. 2013-10-03. Retrieved 2017-03-18.
- "Changing Times". Creative Review. 2007-08-31. Retrieved 2017-03-18.
- "Janet Froelich". ADC • Global Awards & Club. Retrieved 2017-03-18.
- "Janet Froelich to Design Talks 2013". halloffemmes.com. Retrieved 2017-03-18.