|Born||1968 (age 50–51)|
Monroe, Michigan, U.S.
Originally from Monroe, Michigan, his father was Catholic, and of Polish descent. His mother was Jewish from a Sephardi background from Morocco. Poniewozik attended the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, graduating with a BA in English (1986–1990). He subsequently attended the graduate program in fiction writing at New York University.
Poniewozik was Time's television critic from 1999 to 2015, his Tuned In column critiquing television and related media. In August 2015, it was announced that he would join The New York Times' culture desk as chief television critic.
- "James Poniewozik Joins The New York Times As Chief TV Critic". The New York Times. Retrieved August 10, 2015.
- "James Poniewozik Author Page". Time. Retrieved August 10, 2015.
- Poniewozik, James (2019-09-10). Audience of One: Donald Trump, television, and the politics of illusion. [S.l.]: Liveright Publishing Co. ISBN 1631494422. OCLC 1084328508.CS1 maint: date and year (link)
- "James Poniewozik on [Audience of One] | C-SPAN.org". www.c-span.org. Retrieved 2019-09-05.
- "Robo-James' Time Machine: How TV Taught Me to Be Jewish". Time. August 31, 2009.