James J. Cimino
James J. Cimino, is a physician-scientist and biomedical informatician elected in 2014 to the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Science. He pioneered the theory and formalisms of medical concept representation underpinning the use of controlled medical vocabularies in electronic medical records in support of clinical decision-making. Training under Octo Barnett at Harvard University, he also contributed to the initiation of the Unified Medical Language System. In addition, he actively practices medicine as an internist and has devoted many years to develop and innovate clinical information systems that have been integrated in the New York–Presbyterian Hospital, and the Columbia University Medical Center.
James J. Cimino
|Alma mater||Brown University|
New York Medical College
|Known for||Controlled Medical Vocabulary|
(Medical Entity Dictionary,
Research Entity Dictionary,
|Awards||Elected Member, IOM|
Medal of Honor, NYMC
President’s Award, AMIA
NIH Clinical Center Director's Award for BTRIS
|Fields||Medical concept representation|
Medical decision making
|Institutions||United States National Library of Medicine|
|Academic advisors||G. Octo Barnett|
|Doctoral students||Eneida A. Mendonça, |
Qing T. Zeng 
|Other notable students||Yves A. Lussier|
Cimino is the inaugural director of the Informatics Institute in the School of Medicine and co-director of the UAB Center for Clinical and Translational Science. Previously, Cimino was Chief of the Laboratory for Informatics Development at the NIH Clinical Center, and Professor of Biomedical Informatics at Columbia University (2002-2007).
Cimino has published over 200 articles (H-index>62).
- "Medical Entities Dictionary". med.dmi.columbia.edu.
- "The Columbia University Infobutton Manager". people.dbmi.columbia.edu.
- "Biomedical Translational Research Information System". btris.nih.gov.
- "Qing T. Zeng, PhD". medicine.utah.edu.
- "Chen, Elizabeth". vivo.brown.edu.
- "Elected at The Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Science 2014". iom.edu.
- "News - Renowned expert named inaugural director of UAB Informatics Institute". UAB News.
- "James Cimino - Google Scholar Citations". scholar.google.com.