James E. Smith (general)
James E. Smith is a colonel in the United States Air Force who is currently serving as the commander of the Peterson-Schriever Garrison, a new unit in the United States Space Force. He was previously the commander of the 50th Space Wing before it was inactivated and replaced by the Peterson-Schriever Garrison. He was also nominated for transfer to the U.S. Space Force and promotion to brigadier general.
James E. Smith
|Service/||United States Air Force|
|Years of service||1997–present (23 years)|
|Commands held||Peterson-Schriever Garrison|
50th Space Wing
1st Range Operations Squadron
|Awards||Defense Superior Service Medal|
Defense Meritorious Service Medal (3)
Meritorious Service Medal (4)
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Smith was commissioned in 1997 as the top graduate of the United States Air Force Academy. His operations experience includes directing range support for launch operations from the Eastern Range, Cape Canaveral, Fla., and providing command and control for national reconnaissance and Global Positioning System spacecraft.
- 1997 Bachelor of Science, Astronautical Engineering and Japanese language minor, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- 1999 Master of Science, Aeronautics and Astronautics, Mass. Institute of Technology, Cambridge
- 2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
- 2003 Air Force Intern Program, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- 2003 Certificate Program, Organizational Management, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
- 2007 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala. by correspondence
- 2010 Master of Airpower Art and Science, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
- 2017 Master of Science, National Resource Strategy, Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, Washington, D.C.
- 2018 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
1. May 1997 - May 1999, Graduate Student and Charles Stark Draper Fellow, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass.
2. May 1999 - June 2002, Spacecraft Systems Engineer and Chief, GPS Spacecraft Systems Analysis, 2nd Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
3. June 2002 - June 2003, Intern, Air Force Intern Program, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
4. July 2003 - May 2006, Chief, Space Control Demonstration Operations Flight and Wing Executive Officer, Space Superiority Materiel Wing, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
5. June 2006 - June 2008, Chief, Space Operations Division and Assistant Operations Officer, Space Operations Squadron, Aerospace Data Facility - Colorado, Buckley AFB, Colo.
6. July 2009 - June 2010, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. July 2010 - July 2012, Chief, Mission Area Architecting Branch, Directorate of Requirements, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo. (January 2012 - June 2012, Program Manager and Acting Commander, Defense Contract Management Agency-Northern Afghanistan, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan)
8. August 2012 - May 2014, Commander, 1st Range Operations Squadron, Cape Canaveral AFS, Fla.
9. May 2014 - May 2015, Assistant Executive Officer to the Chief of Staff of the United States Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
10. June 2015 - June 2016, Chief, Air Force and Air Defense Security Assistance Team, Office of Security Cooperation-Iraq, U.S. Embassy, Baghdad, Iraq
11. July 2016 - June 2017, Student, Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2017 – June 2019, Commander, Air Force Element, and Chief, Mission Operations & Engineering, RAF Menwith Hill, United Kingdom.
13. June 2019 – July 2020, Commander, 50th Space Wing, Schriever AFB, Colo.
14. July 2020 – Present, Commander, Peterson-Schriever Garrison, Peterson AFB, Colo.
Awards and decorationsEdit
|Command Space Operations Badge|
|Senior Acquisitions and Financial Management Badge|
|Air Staff Badge|
|Defense Superior Service Medal|
|Defense Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters|
|Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters|
|Air Force Commendation Medal|
|Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster|
|Joint Meritorious Unit Award|
|Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters|
|Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with three oak leaf cluster|
|National Defense Service Medal with one bronze service star|
|Afghanistan Campaign Medal with one bronze service star|
|Inherent Resolve Campaign Medal|
|Global War on Terrorism Service Medal|
|Air Force Overseas Short Tour Service Ribbon|
|Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold frame|
|Air Force Longevity Service Award with one silver oak leaf cluster|
|Air Force Training Ribbon with one oak leaf cluster|
Effective dates of promotionEdit
|Second lieutenant||May 28, 1997|
|First lieutenant||May 28, 1999|
|Captain||May 28, 2001|
|Major||Nov. 1, 2006|
|Lieutenant colonel||Dec. 1, 2011|
|Colonel||May 1, 2016|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to James E. Smith.|
- "Colonel James E. Smith". vanderberg.af.mil. July 2020. Retrieved August 14, 2020. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- "50th SW Changes Command". Schriever Air Force Base. June 25, 2019. Retrieved August 14, 2020. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- "PN2172 — Space Force". United States Congress. Retrieved August 14, 2020. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- "PN44 — Space Force". United States Congress. Retrieved January 7, 2021. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
Jennifer L. Grant
| Commander of the 50th Space Wing
|New office|| Commander of Peterson-Schriever Garrison