Jamal Nazrul Islam
Jamal Nazrul Islam (24 February 1939 – 16 March 2013) was a Bangladeshi mathematical physicist and cosmologist. He was a professor at University of Chittagong, served as a member of the advisory board at Shahjalal University of Science and Technology and member of the syndicate at Chittagong University of Engineering & Technology until his death . He also served as the director of the Research Center for Mathematical and Physical Sciences (RCMPS) at the University of Chittagong, Chattogram, Bangladesh. He was awarded Ekushey Padak in 2000 by the Government of Bangladesh. 
Jamal Nazrul Islam
Islam in Chittagong (January 2012)
জামাল নজরুল ইসলাম
|Died||16 March 2013 (aged 74)|
|Resting place||Garibullah Shah Mazar Graveyard|
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge|
University of Calcutta
|Awards||Ekushey Padak (2001)|
Quantum field theory
Early life and educationEdit
Islam was born on 24 February 1939 in Jhenaidah, East Bengal. His father, Khan Bahadur Sirajul Islam, was a sub-judge in British India. Because of his father's job, Islam spent his early school years in Calcutta. He studied at Chittagong Collegiate School and College until class ix and then he went to Lawrence College, Murree in West Pakistan to pass the Senior Cambridge and Higher Senior Cambridge exams. He received a BSc degree from St. Xavier's College at the University of Calcutta. In 1959, he got his Honors in Functional Mathematics and Theoretical Physics from Cambridge University. He completed his Masters in 1960. As a student of the Trinity College, he finished the Mathematical Tripos. Islam obtained his PhD in applied mathematics and theoretical physics from Trinity College, Cambridge in 1968, followed by a DSc in 1982.
Islam worked in the Institute of Theoretical Astronomy (later amalgamated to Institute of Astronomy, Cambridge) from 1967 until 1971. Later he worked as a researcher in California Institute of Technology and University of Washington. During 1973-1974 he served as the faculty of Applied Mathematics of King's College London. In 1978 he then joined the faculty of City University London until he returned to Chittagong in 1984. In 2006, he was made Professor Emeritus at the University of Chittagong.
His research areas include Applied Mathematics, Theoretical Physics, Mathematical Physics, theory of Gravitation, General Relativity, Mathematical Cosmology and Quantum Field Theory. Islam authored/coauthored/edited more than 50 scientific articles, books and some popular articles published in various scientific journals. Besides this he has also written books in Bengali. Particularly noteworthy are Black Hole, published by the Bangla Academy, "The Mother Tongue, Scientific Research and other Articles" and "Art, Literature and Society". The latter two are compilations.
In 1997, Islam was invited to the International Symposium on Mathematical Physics in memory of S. Chandrasekhar with a special session on Abdus Salam arranged by Calcutta Mathematical Society in Kolkata-India. Professor Narayan Chandra Ghosh, a mathematician of India, was director of the noted symposium.
- Gold award from Bangladesh Academy of Sciences (Senior group)(1985)
- Medal Lecture award from Accademia Nazionale delle Scienze (1998)
- Bangladesh National Award for Science and Technology (1998)
- Ekushey Padak (2001)
- Razzak-Shamsun Lifetime Achievement Award in Physics from the University of Dhaka (2011)
- Islam, J.N. (1983): The Ultimate Fate of the Universe. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, England. ISBN 978-0-521-11312-0. (Digital print version published in 2009).
- Bonnor, W.B., Islam, J.N., MacCallum, M.A.H. (eds.)(1983): Classical General Relativity: Proceedings of the Conference on Classical (Non-Quantum) General Relativity, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, England. ISBN 0-521-26747-1.
- Islam, J.N. (1985): Rotating Fields in General Relativity, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, England. ISBN 978-0-521-11311-3. (Digital print version published in 2009).
- Islam, J.N. (1992, 2nd edition 2001): An Introduction to Mathematical Cosmology, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, England. ISBN 0-521-49973-9.
- Islam, J.N.: Modified Mandelstam Representation for Heavy Particles. J. Math. Phys. 3, 1098-1106 (1962). DOI:10.1063/1.1703852
- Islam, J.N.: Acnodes and Cusps and the Mandelstam Representation. J. Math. Phys. 4, 872-878 (1963). DOI:10.1063/1.1704012
- Islam, J.N., Kim, Y.S.: Analytic Property of Three-Body Unitarity Integral. Phys. Rev. 138, B1222–B1229 (1965). DOI:10.1103/PhysRev.138.B1222
- Islam, J.N.: Leading Landau Curves of a Class of Feynman Diagrams. J. Math. Phys. 7, 652-660 (1966). DOI:10.1063/1.1704978
- Islam, J.N.: Green Function Formulation of the Dirac Field in Curved Space. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A 294, 437-448 (1966). DOI:10.1098/rspa.1966.0217
- Islam, J.N.: Field Equations in the Neighbourhood of a Particle in a Conformal Theory of Gravitation. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A 306, 487-501 (1968). DOI:10.1098/rspa.1968.0163
- Islam, J.N.: Field Equations in the Neighbourhood of a Particle in a Conformal Theory of Gravitation. II. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A 313, 71-82 (1969). DOI:10.1098/rspa.1969.0180
- Islam, J.N.: Some general relativistic inequalities for a star in hydrostatic equilibrium. Mon. Not. R. Astron. Soc. 145, 21-29 (1969).
- Islam, J.N.: Some general relativistic inequalities for a star in hydrostatic equilibrium-II. Mon. Not. R. Astron. Soc. 147, 377-386 (1970).
- Islam, J.N.: A class of approximate exterior rotating solutions of Einstein's equations. Math. Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc. 79, 161-166 (1976). DOI:10.1017/S0305004100052178
- Islam, J.N.: On the existence of a general rotating solution of Einstein's equations. Gen. Relativ. Gravit. 7, 809-815 (1976) DOI:10.1007/BF00778760
- Islam, J.N.: A class of approximate stationary solutions of the Einstein-Maxwell equations. Gen. Relativ. Gravit. 7, 669-680 (1976). DOI:10.1007/BF00770723
- Islam, J.N.: Possible Ultimate Fate of the Universe. Quart. J. R. Astron. Soc. 18, 3-8 (1977).
- Islam, J.N.: On the static field in general relativity. Math. Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc. 81, 485-496 (1977). DOI:10.1017/S0305004100053548
- Islam, J.N.: On the static field in general relativity: II. Math. Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc. 83, 299-306 (1978). DOI:10.1017/S0305004100054566
- Islam, J.N.: On the stationary axisymmetric Einstein-Maxwell equations. Gen. Relativ. Gravit. 9, 687-690 (1978). DOI:10.1007/BF00760140
- Islam, J.N.: A Class of Exact Interior Solutions of the Einstein-Maxwell Equations. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A 353, 523-531 (1977). DOI:10.1098/rspa.1977.0048
- Islam, J.N.: The Ultimate Fate of the Universe. Sky & Telescope 57, 13-18 (1979).
- Islam, J.N.: The long-term future of the universe. Vistas in Astronomy 23, 265–277 (1979). DOI:10.1016/0083-6656(79)90014-X
- Islam, J.N.: Recently Found Solution of Einstein's Equations. Phys. Rev. Lett. 43, 601-602 (1979) DOI:10.1103/PhysRevLett.43.601
- Islam, J.N.: The Far Future of the Universe. Endeavour, 8, 32-34 (1984). DOI:10.1016/0160-9327(84)90127-3
- Islam, J.N.: On Rotating Charged Dust in General Relativity. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A 362, 329-340 (1978). DOI:10.1098/rspa.1978.0136
- Islam, J.N.: On Rotating Charged Dust in General Relativity. II. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A 367, 71-280 (1979). DOI:10.1098/rspa.1979.0087
- Islam, J.N.: On Rotating Charged Dust in General Relativity. III. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A 372, 111-115 (1980). DOI:10.1098/rspa.1980.0104
- Islam, J.N.: On rotating charged dust in general relativity. IV. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A 385, 189-205 (1983). DOI:10.1098/rspa.1983.0010
- Islam, J.N.: On Rotating Charged Dust in General Relativity. V. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A 389, 291-298 (1983). DOI:10.1098/rspa.1983.0110
- Islam, J.N., Schutz, B.F.: Motion of primordial black holes in the early universe and their likely distribution today. Gen. Relativ. Gravit. 12, 881-893 (1980). DOI:10.1007/BF00757357
- Islam, J.N.: The cosmological constant and classical tests of general relativity. Phys. Lett. A 97, 239–241 (1983). DOI:10.1016/0375-9601(83)90756-9
- Boachie, L. A., Islam, J.N.: On a certain solution of the Einstein-Maxwell equations. Phys. Lett. A 93, 321–322 (1983). DOI:10.1016/0375-9601(83)90107-X
- Islam, J.N.: Closed form for Van Stockum interior solution of Einstein's equations. Phys. Lett. A 94, 421–423 (1983). DOI:10.1016/0375-9601(83)90843-5
- Islam, J.N., Bergh, N. V. d., Wils, P.: General solutions for axisymmetric differentially rotating charged dust with vanishing Lorentz force. Class. Quantum Grav. 1, 705-714 (1984) DOI:10.1088/0264-9381/1/6/014
- Islam, J.N.: On Yang-Mills Theory in the Temporal Gauge. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A 421, 279-301 (1989). DOI:10.1098/rspa.1989.0012
- Islam, J.N.: Schrödinger Functional Equation for Yang-Mills Theory. Prog. Theor. Phys. 89, 161-185 (1993) Link 1 DOI:10.1143/ptp/89.1.161 Link 2 DOI:10.1143/ptp/89.1.161
- Islam, J.N.: The Schrödinger equation in quantum field theory. Found. Phys. 24, 593-630 (1994). DOI:10.1007/BF02054667
- Azad, A.K., Islam, J.N.: Cosmological constant in the Bianchi type-I-modified Brans-Dicke cosmology. Pramana J. Phys. 60, 21-27 (2003). DOI:10.1007/BF02705065
- Islam, M.A., Islam, J.N.: Anharmonic solution of Schrödinger time-independent equation. Pramana J. Phys. 77, 243-261 (2011). DOI:10.1007/s12043-011-0101-8
- Firoz, K.A., Moon, Y.-J., Park, S.-H., Kudela, K., Islam, J.N., Dorman, L. I.: On the Possible Mechanisms of Two Ground-level Enhancement Events. ApJ 743, 190 (18pp) (2011) DOI:10.1088/0004-637X/743/2/190
- Panna, N., Islam, J.N.: Construction of an Exact Solution of Time-Dependent Ginzburg-Landau Equations by Standard Integral for Front Propagation in Superconductors. Science Journal of Mathematics and Statistics 2012, Article ID sjms-101, 4 Pages, (2012). DOI:10.7237/sjms/101
- Panna, N., Islam, J.N.: Construction of an exact solution of time-dependent Ginzburg-Landau equations and determination of the superconducting-normal interface propagation speed in superconductors. Interaction of Lasers with Atoms, Molecules and Clusters University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad 9–12 January 2012. (Forthcoming)
- মামুনুর রশিদ, গণিত বিভাগ, চবি. "বাঙালির রত্ন বিজ্ঞানী জামাল নজরুল ইসলাম". shaptahik.com. Retrieved 2016-11-17.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Syndicate of CUET". Chittagong University of Science and Technology. Retrieved 4 September 2017.
- "একুশে পদকপ্রাপ্ত সুধীবৃন্দ" [Ekushey Padak winners list] (in Bengali). Government of Bangladesh. Retrieved 4 September 2017.
- "Prof. Jamal Nazrul-Islam". Ias-worldwide.org. 1939-02-24. Archived from the original on 2012-04-30. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- Islam, K. (20 October 2008). "A unique achievement". The Daily Star. Retrieved 4 September 2017.
- "Jamal Nazrul Islam dies at 74". bdnews24.com. Retrieved 2013-03-17.
- "Prof Jamal Nazrul Islam passes away". Banglanews24.com. 1939-02-24. Archived from the original on 2013-04-10. Retrieved 2013-03-17.
- Star Online Report. "Prof Jamal Nazrul Islam passes away". The Daily Star. Retrieved 2013-03-17.
- নিজস্ব প্রতিবেদক, চট্টগ্রাম বিডিনিউজ টোয়েন্টিফোর ডটকম. "অধ্যাপক জামাল নজরুল ইসলাম আর নেই - bdnews24.com". Bangla.bdnews24.com. Retrieved 2013-03-17.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Academy Gold Medal Award". Bas.org.bd. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "786". Astronomy.ohio-state.edu. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "Razzak-Shamsun Lifetime Achieveent Award in Physics 2011" (PDF). Retrieved 4 September 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jamal Nazrul Islam.|
- SAO/NASA Astrophysics Data System (ADS)
- TWAS membership
- Islamic World Academy of Sciences
- Jamal Nazrul Islam (1939-2013)
- My memories of Jamal Nazrul Islam
- Famous South Asian physicist, cosmologist J N Islam died
- Professor Jamal Nazrul Islam — as I saw him
- Jamal Nazrul Islam: The passionate learner
- Life sketch of Prof Jamal Nazrul Islam