Jakob Stämpfli (bass)
|Died||28 September 2014 (aged 79)|
|Organization||Hochschule für Musik Saar|
His first recording was in 1955 the bass part of Bach's Christmas Oratorio with the Thomanerchor conducted by Günther Ramin. Stämpfli's repertoire includes all the oratorios of Johann Sebastian Bach and more than one hundred Bach cantatas. He recorded especially with the Gächinger Kantorei and Helmuth Rilling, including rarely performed cantatas such as, in 1967, the reconstructed Entfliehet, verschwindet, entweichet, ihr Sorgen, BWV 249a, also called Shepherd cantata. Also in 1967 he recorded the bass arias of Bach's St Matthew Passion with Hans Swarowsky, the Vienna Academy Chamber Choir and the Wiener Sängerknaben, the Vienna State Symphony Orchestra, Heather Harper and Kurt Equiluz singing both the vox Christi and the arias. Jakob Stämpfli recorded Bach cantatas with Karl Ristenpart, also Bach's Magnificat and two of Bach's Missae breves with Maurice André, trumpet. A review of Bach cantatas recorded with conductor Fritz Werner credits his singing: "The magnificent bass aria, ‘Der alte Drache brennt vor Neid’, in which soloist Jakob Stämpfli is accompanied by timpani and no less than three trumpets, is powerfully conveyed; Stämpfli is in commanding form".
Jakob Stämpfli was a teacher at the Conservatory of Biel (1960–1962) and at the Bern Conservatory for music and theatre from 1963 where he was appointed director in 1992. He has also taught at the Hochschule für Musik Saar in Saarbrücken and the Hochschule für Musik und Theater Hamburg. He has given international master classes and served as a judge for vocal competitions. His students have included Klaus Mertens, Siegmund Nimsgern, Cornelius Hauptmann and Dominik Wörner.
From 2005 until 2007 he directed the festival Bachwochen Thun – Amsoldingen. In 2007 the festival presented a performance of Bach's Mass in B minor with the ten singers of the Cantus Firmus Vokalensemble in the church of Amsoldingen. He was acting chairman of the Swiss Music Pedagogic Association. He died in Thun.
- Jakob Stämpfli on bach-cantatas, 2009
- Cantata BWV 249a Entflieht, verschwindet, entweichet, ihr Sorgen on bach-cantatas
- Bach: Entfliehet, Verschwindet, Entweichet / Rilling ArkivMusic
- J.S. Bach: Matthäus-Passion on bach-cantatas
- Johann Sebastian BACH (1685–1750) The Cantatas - Volume 2 review by John Quinn on musicweb.international, 2005
- "Martin: In Terra Pax". gramophone.net. 1964. Archived from the original on 2011-10-27. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- Bachwochen Archived 2012-07-24 at the Wayback Machine
- Eine glanzvolle Bach-Messe Archived 2011-07-08 at the Wayback Machine review in the Thuner Tagblatt, 28 August 2007 (in German)