Pratt & Whitney Canada JT15D
This article includes a list of general references, but it remains largely unverified because it lacks sufficient corresponding inline citations. (October 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Pratt & Whitney Canada JT15D is a small turbofan engine built by Pratt & Whitney Canada. It was introduced in 1971 at 2,200 lbf (9,800 N) thrust, and has since undergone a series of upgrades to just over 3,000 lbf (13 kN) thrust in the latest versions. It is the primary powerplant for a wide variety of smaller jet aircraft, notably business jets.
|Manufacturer||Pratt & Whitney Canada|
|Major applications||Cessna Citation I |
Cessna Citation V
SIAI Marchetti S.211
Design and developmentEdit
About 70% of the air passing through the fan goes down the bypass duct. The JT15D-4 and later variants use a "booster" axial stage behind the fan which runs at the same speed as the fan and directs the remaining 30% of the air into the high pressure compressor, after which it passes into a reverse-flow annular combustor. The hot gases flow through a high-pressure turbine that drives the centrifugal compressor, and a low pressure turbine which drives the fan and booster.
- The first model was introduced to power the Cessna Citation I, then known as the Fanjet 500. Deliveries started in 1972, and eventually on 1,417 -1s were delivered.
- Introduced in 1973, improving thrust to 2,500 lbf (11,000 N). The -4 was the primary engine for the Cessna Citation II, and went on to find use on the Mitsubishi Diamond 1A, Aerospatiale Corvette and SIAI-Marchetti S.211. Eventually 2,195 engines of the -4 series were delivered.
- Certified in 1983. The first versions delivered 2,900 lbf (13,000 N) and were used on the Beechjet 400A and Cessna T-47A. Several minor versions were introduced, the -5A for the Cessna Citation V, while the -5B powered the Beechcraft T-1A Jayhawk, the -5C the DASA Ranger 2000 and S-211A.
- Certified in 1993, increased thrust again, this time to 3,045 lbf (13,540 N). The -5D is used on the Cessna UC-35A and Cessna Citation Ultra.
- Aérospatiale Corvette
- Alenia Aermacchi M-311
- Boeing Bird of Prey
- Beechcraft Beechjet 400
- Cessna Citation I
- Cessna Citation II
- Cessna Citation V/Ultra
- Hawker 400
- Honda MH02
- Mitsubishi MU-300 Diamond
- Northrop Grumman X-47A Pegasus
- Raytheon T-1 Jayhawk
- Rockwell Ranger 2000
- Scaled Composites 401
- SIAI Marchetti S.211/Aermacchi S-211
- Sport Jet II
- Type: Turbofan
- Length: 60.5 inches
- Diameter: 27 inches
- Dry weight: 630 pounds
- Compressor: Axial flow LP, centrifugal flow HP
- Maximum thrust: 3,050 pounds
- Specific fuel consumption: 0.562 lb/(lbf·h) at max, 0.552 lb/(lbf·h) at cruise (typ)
- Thrust-to-weight ratio: 4.58 (approximation)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pratt & Whitney Canada JT15.|
|This aircraft engine article is missing some (or all) of its specifications. If you have a source, you can help Wikipedia by adding them.|