J. Lohr Vineyards and Wines
J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines is a winery headquartered in San Jose, California, with over 3700 acres of estate vineyards in Paso Robles, Monterey County and the Napa Valley. The family-owned and operated company, which has wineries in San Jose and Paso Robles, was founded in 1971 by President Jerry Lohr. Jeff Meier, J. Lohr Director of Winemaking, has been with the company since 1984 and oversees the making of the J. Lohr portfolio: four tiers of signature wines including J. Lohr Estates, J. Lohr Vineyard Series, J. Lohr Cuvée Series and J. Lohr Gesture, along with specialty brands Cypress Vineyards, Painter Bridge and ARIEL Vineyards (non-alcoholic). J. Lohr ranks among the top 30 wine producers in the United States, with annual US sales exceeding 1 million cases.
In 2010, J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines was named American Winery of the Year by Wine Enthusiast Magazine for its efforts in education, industry leadership, sustainability and corporate social responsibility. J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines is a Certified California Sustainable Winegrower and houses the largest solar tracking array in the American wine industry at its Paso Robles Wine Center. As part of J. Lohr's sustainability initiatives, the company also runs comprehensive water and energy conservation programs, uses biodegradeable inks and papers in its packaging, and preserves vineyard ecosystems through strategic vineyard planning. Since 2009, J. Lohr has partnered with the National Breast Cancer Foundation to provide mammograms to women in need through the sales of J. Lohr Carol's Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon and Sauvignon Blanc, two single-vineyard wines made from grapes grown in J. Lohr's Carol's Vineyard in St. Helena, California. Carol's Vineyard is named after Jerry Lohr's wife, Carol Waldorf Lohr, who died of breast cancer in 2008.
- Boyd, Gerald (2001-03-28). "Deep in the Heart of San Jose". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 2007-08-10.
- "The Top 30 Wine Business Companies". Wine Business Monthly. Wine Communications Group. 15 February 2009. Retrieved 15 May 2009.
- "J. Lohr Vineyards Named 2010 American Winery of the Year". Wine Country This Week. 1 Dec 2010. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- "J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines Announces California Sustainable Winegrowing Certification". World-Wire (Press release). 22 Jan 2010. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- "J. Lohr to Fund 500 Mammograms for Women in Need". The National Breast Cancer Foundation Detail.aspx?id=191 (Press release). 1 Oct 2011. Retrieved 11 May 2011.