Jüri is a small borough (Estonian: alevik) in Harju County, northern Estonia. It is located 12 km (7.5 mi) southeast of the capital Tallinn, by the Tallinn–Tartu road (E263), directly after the intersection with Tallinn Ring Road (nr. 11). Jüri is the administrative centre of Rae Parish. Jüri has a population of 3,426 as of 1 January 2012. In 2011, Jüri was the center of population of Estonia.
Jüri has grown out of two parts: the centre of Sommerling kolkhoz (former Rosenhagen Manor) in the west and construction industry base with a residential area (former Jüri church and village) in the east. In the middle there is a protected Lehmja oak grove.
In the 1630s the Rosenhagen Manor (Lehmja since 1917) was established; nowadays the site is located in western Jüri. Today, though the wooden main building has been destroyed, several side buildings such as the workers house have remained.
The earlier Jürgens (Jüri) church was probably located in Karla in 1401. The current church in Jüri was built in 1885 on the site of a medieval church building. From 1713 to 1748, Anton thor Helle, the translator of the first Estonian Bible, was the pastor in Jürgens.
- "Rahvastik" (in Estonian). Rae vald. Archived from the original on 20 July 2011. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- "Jüri alevik" (in Estonian). eestigiid.ee. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- "Lehmja mõis" (in Estonian). Estonian Manors Portal. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- Rae vallavalitsuse kodulehekülg Archived July 20, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- Rae Parish (in Estonian)
- Jüri Health Centre (in Estonian)
- Jüri Gymnasium (in Estonian)
- Jüri Library (in Estonian)
- Jüri church parish (in Estonian)
|This Harju County location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|