Iwafune District, Niigata
This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
As of May 1, 2008, the district has an estimated population of 7,137. The total area is 309.47 km².
The district currently has two villages.
Iwafune's name is from the Ancient Japanese Ritsuryo System. In 1878, when Iwafune District launched, the district covered all six towns listed above and the current city of Murakami, and the district areas has been the same since the founding. The district seat was located at Murakami-Honmachi (the current city of Murakami).
After the district lost Murakami in 1954, the district areas remain the same as until April 1, 2008. There had been some talks to merge with the city of Murakami but the city of Murakami killed the merger because of the city's new name. However, the talks was finally settled, and, on April 1, 2008, the city of Murakami merged with the towns of Sanpoku and Arakawa and the villages of Asahi and Kamihayashi from Iwafune District to create the city of Murakami.
|This Niigata Prefecture location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|