The dam of Imatra
|• Town manager||Kai Roslakka|
|• Total||191.28 km2 (73.85 sq mi)|
|• Land||154.99 km2 (59.84 sq mi)|
|• Water||36.29 km2 (14.01 sq mi)|
|Area rank||274th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||40th largest in Finland|
|• Density||173.59/km2 (449.6/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||97% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||13.8%|
|• 15 to 64||64.1%|
|• 65 or older||22.1%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.5%|
On the other side of the border, 7 kilometres (4 mi) away from the centre of Imatra, lies the Russian town of Svetogorsk. St Petersburg is situated 210 km (130 mi) to the southeast, Finland's capital Helsinki is 230 km (140 mi) away and Lappeenranta, the nearest Finnish town, is 37 km (23 mi) away. Imatra belongs to the administrative province of Southern Finland and the region of South Karelia.
The main employers are pulp and paper manufacturer Stora Enso Oyj, the Town of Imatra, engineering steel manufacturer Ovako Bar Oy Ab, and the Finnish Border Guard. As of October 2003[update], the total number of employees was 12,423. As of December 2004[update], 1,868 employees were employed by the Town of Imatra.
An Art Nouveau or Jugend style castle, currently known as Imatran Valtionhotelli, was built near the rapids in 1903 as a hotel for tourists from the Russian Imperial capital Saint Petersburg.
Imatra was founded in 1948 on the territory of three municipalities – Jääski, Ruokolahti and Joutseno. Finland ceded 11% of its territory to the Soviet Union after the Winter War. Jääski lost 85% of its territory and it was decided that a new municipality, Imatra, should be established on the remaining 15% of Jääski and some areas of Ruokolahti and Joutseno. This is why the Imatra coat of arms has three flashes – in honour of those previous municipalities that granted areas to it. It gained its municipal charter in 1971.
In motorsport history, Imatra is best known for its road races (former TT-race) from 1963 to 1986. From 1962 to 1982 it was the home of the Finnish motorcycle Grand Prix. Racing on the Imatra road circuit ended after fatal accident during the 1986 European Championship event. Racing resumed in 2016 as an International Road Racing Championship event.
Twin towns — Sister citiesEdit
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Imatra". Imatra. Retrieved 24 December 2017.
- "Rami Hasu on Imatran uusi kaupunginjohtaja". Yle Uutiset. Retrieved 24 December 2017.
- "Imatra (Finland): love and death in a cold GP climate" (in Italian). Retrieved 2017-07-16.
- "Ystävyyskaupungit" (in Finnish). Imatran kaupunki. Archived from the original on 2015-01-23. Retrieved 2015-01-23. Cite uses deprecated parameter