Iles Purpuraires

Iles Purpuraires are a set of small islands off the western coast of Morocco at the bay located at Essaouira, the largest of which is Mogador Island. These islands were settled in antiquity by the Phoenicians, chiefly to exploit certain marine resources and as a promontory fort. (Hogan, 2007) Roman occupation of western Morocco beginning in the 2nd century BC continued the use of the islets, principally for manufacture of a royal blue dye from certain marine organisms. Neolithic archaeological studies in this area indicate indigenous peoples of western Morocco fished in this locale circa 3000 to 2000 BC. (Trakadas, 2002) The islands have been designated as a protected Ramsar site since 2005.[1]

Iles Purpuraires
Iles Purpuraires with Mogador island in the background seen from the Essaouira citadel.jpg
Iles Purpuraires, including Mogador island, seen from the Essaouira citadel
Iles Purpuraires is located in Morocco
Iles Purpuraires
Iles Purpuraires
Geography
LocationNorth Atlantic Ocean
Coordinates31°29′50″N 9°47′12″W / 31.49722°N 9.78667°W / 31.49722; -9.78667Coordinates: 31°29′50″N 9°47′12″W / 31.49722°N 9.78667°W / 31.49722; -9.78667
Major islandsMogador Island
Administration
RegionMarrakesh-Safi
ProvinceEssaouira Province
Official nameArchipel et dunes d'Essawira
Designated15 January 2005
Reference no.1469[1]

ReferencesEdit

  1. ^ a b "Archipel et dunes d'Essawira". Ramsar Sites Information Service. Retrieved 11 September 2018.