Huonekalu- ja Rakennustyötehdas
Huonekalutehdas Korhonen Oy, formerly called O.Y. Huonekalu- ja Rakennustyötehdas A.B is a former furniture producer located in Littoinen, Kaarina, Finland. The company is known particularly as producer of Alvar Aalto designed furniture.
|O.Y. Huonekalu- ja Rakennustyötehdas A.B.|
|Founded||15 February 1912 in Turku, Grand Duchy of Finland|
The company was started in 1910 when Otto Korhonen and three other carpenters bought Puuseppien Osuuskunta ("Carpenters' Co-operative") based in Turku, then Grand Duchy of Finland. The versatile portfolio comprised doors, windows and furniture which were produced in facilities located in Uudenmaankatu 7. The company was registered as Huonekalu- ja Rakennustyötehdas in 1912.
At the end of the 1920s Otto Korhonen started co-operation with architect Alvar Aalto. Aalto had recently got two large projects: Southwestern Agricultural Cooperative Building in Turku and Paimio Sanatorium in Paimio. The sanatorium was the most significant collaborative project between Korhonen and Aalto; Huonekalu- ja Rakennustyötehdas produced its interior and furniture. Aalto and Korhonen planned together a number of armchairs and various tables for the personnel and patients. The Paimio Sanatorium was the inspiration for many of the Aalto's stackable designs, and this in turn influenced the American designers Charles and Ray Eames.
In the 1930s the company developed a wood bending method, which was largely applied on Aalto's furniture. Aalto's "Y-leg" introduced in 1947 and "X-leg" that followed in 1954 were based on method developed by Huonekalu- ja Rakennustyötehdas. The bent wooden parts became characteristic features in many Aalto's furniture models, such as "stacking chair" and "flexible wooden chair".
- "Yrityshaku – Huonekalutehdas Korhonen Oy Oy". Kauppalehti (in Finnish). Alma Media Oyj. Retrieved 2016-05-09.
- "Huonekalutehdas Korhonen Oy". Luettelomedia (in Finnish). Turku, Finland: Suomen Luettelomedia Oy. Retrieved 2016-05-09.
- "Huonekalutehdas Korhonen Oy – Taloustiedot" [Huonekalutehdas Korhonen Oy – Financial data]. Taloussanomat (in Finnish). Sanoma News Oy. Retrieved 2016-05-09.[permanent dead link]
- Paimio chair in MOMA collection
- Aalto's work there in Alvar Aalto: A Critical Study, by Malcolm Quantrill, 1983, ISBN 9781461721567
- Stackable three-legged chairs from this factory in MOMA collection
- "Artekille myös Littoisten Korhosen tehdas" [Also Littoinen Korhonen factory to Artek]. Turun Sanomat (in Finnish). Turku, Finland. 2014-01-31. Retrieved 2016-05-09.