Holzmaden is a town in Baden-Württemberg, Germany that lies between Stuttgart and Ulm. Holzmaden is 4 km south-east from Kirchheim unter Teck and 19 km south-east of Esslingen am Neckar. The A 8 runs south from Holzmaden. The town and surrounding area are well known as the source of exceptionally well-preserved fossils from the Jurassic period.
|• Mayor||Susanne Jakob|
|• Total||3.09 km2 (1.19 sq mi)|
|Elevation||356 m (1,168 ft)|
|• Density||750/km2 (1,900/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
- Christian Burkhardt (1945–1952)
- Otto Vogt (1952–1982)
- Jürgen Berner (1982–1998)
- Jürgen Riehle (1998–2014)
- Susanne Jakob (2014–present)
Infrastructure and facilitiesEdit
The community is located north of the Bundesautobahn 8, halfway between Ulm and Stuttgart; the next junction is Aichelberg.
The railway Kirchheim (Teck) Süd-Weilheim (Teck) connected Holzmaden to the railway network. Passenger traffic was discontinued in 1982 and freight in 1995. Holzmaden also has a primary school, two kindergartens, a community hall with integrally joined forming gym and a sports and leisure facility.
Associations and OrganizationsEdit
The association's work is an essential factor in the social life in Holzmaden.
Notable people from HolzmadenEdit
- Bernhard Hauff (1866–1950), founder of museum Hauff
- Heinz Kälberer (born 1942), former Lord mayor of Vaihingen an der Enz
The ground in and around the city contains rich layers of well-preserved fossils (or Lagerstätten) of the Jurassic period. The fossils are found in the 180-million-year-old Posidonia Shale and displayed in the local Museum Hauff as well as museums around the world. This locale is important for its frequent preservation of soft tissue, a rarity in fossils.
Examples from this site include:
- "Bevölkerung nach Nationalität und Geschlecht am 31. Dezember 2018". Statistisches Landesamt Baden-Württemberg (in German). July 2019.
- Würdiger Abschied und Neubeginn, Der Teckbote, 7. April 2014.
|This Esslingen district location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|