|• Mayor||Norbert Wolf (CDU)|
|• Total||41.75 km2 (16.12 sq mi)|
|Elevation||290 m (950 ft)|
|• Density||55/km2 (140/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Hochkirch is located in the historic Upper Lusatia region, about 10 km (6.2 mi) east of the administrative capital Bautzen and 9 km (5.6 mi) northwest of Löbau. Situated within the Lusatian Highlands, it belongs to the settlement area of the Sorbs.
The village of Bukovici (possibly derived from Upper Sorbian buk: "beech") was first mentioned in a 1222 deed issued by Bishop Bruno II of Meissen; the present German name first appeared in 1368. By the 1635 Peace of Prague, the area passed to the Electorate of Saxony.
During the Seven Years' War on 14 October 1758, the Habsburg (Austrian) Imperial Army under Field Marshal Count Leopold Joseph von Daun attacked the Prussian forces of King Frederick II in a gruesome dawn attack in which many soldiers were bayonetted in their tents in an alleyway beside the village cemetery, called Blutgasse (Blood Alley). The Prussians suffered a bitter defeat; Frederick's field marshal James Francis Edward Keith was killed in battle; his brother-in-law was decapitated by a cannonball. The church yard and church were the scene of intense fighting and the doors of the Baroque Hochkirch parish church still show pock marks from musket balls.
Seats in the municipal assembly (Gemeinderat) as of 2014 local elections:
- Kito Lorenc (born 1938), Sorbian writer, lyric poet and translator.
- "Alle politisch selbständigen Gemeinden mit ausgewählten Merkmalen am 31.12.2018 (4. Quartal)". DESTATIS. Archived from the original on 10 March 2019. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "Aktuelle Einwohnerzahlen nach Gemeinden 2017 (Einwohnerzahlen auf Grundlage des Zensus 2011)" (PDF). Statistisches Landesamt des Freistaates Sachsen (in German). October 2018.