This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Hellersdorf is a locality in the borough of Marzahn-Hellersdorf in Berlin. Between 1986 and Berlin's 2001 administrative reform, it was a borough in its own right, consisting of the current area of Hellersdorf as well as Kaulsdorf and Mahlsdorf.
Quarter of Berlin
Hellersdorf from Kienberg
|• Total||8.1 km2 (3.1 sq mi)|
|Elevation||52 m (171 ft)|
(June 30, 2008)
|• Density||9,000/km2 (23,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
(nr. 1005) 12619, 12627, 12629, 12683
Before German reunification in 1989 it was part of East Berlin. Situated at the eastern part of Berlin, the area is mainly a large housing estate from the 1980s, made up of Plattenbau (concrete slab) buildings.
The historic village of Helwichstorpp was first mentioned in a 1375 land registry of Emperor Charles IV, then also Margrave of Brandenburg. The city of Berlin acquired the former Hellersdorf manor in 1886; it was finally incorporated by the 1920 Greater Berlin Act as a part of the Lichtenberg borough. During German reunification on October 3, 1990, a small part of Honow (primarily around the last two stations of U5) was annexed by this borough.
Hellersdorf is divided into 3 zones (Ortslagen):