Have Harmony, Will Travel
Have Harmony, Will Travel is an album by singer and songwriter Carla Olson. It was released by Busted Flat Records on April 30, 2013 and marked Olson's first studio album since her 2001 release The Ring of Truth (in between she and her band, the Textones, had produced Detroit 85: Live and Unreleased, a live album released in 2008).
|Have Harmony, Will Travel|
|Studio album by|
|Released||April 30, 2013|
|Genre||Roots rock, Americana|
|Carla Olson chronology|
Carla Olson desire to cut a duet record had been in development for several decades. In an interview with journalist Mike Ragogna she stated:
- Several years ago, I was in between production projects, which is what I mainly do. I haven't done a studio album in a long time, mainly because I've been working at producing. One day I just thought, "Well, I'm in between projects. Maybe I should try to start something." I approached a couple of people about doing a duet album, one of them being Peter Case, who I’ve known since the '70s, and he said, "Yeah, I’d love to."
Olson then rounded up a host of her friends and bandmates as well as some of her favorite singers. Among these were Juice Newton, who duets with Olson in "You Can Come Cryin' to Me", the album's opening track, and "Stringin' Me On". Olson and Peter Case team on the Del Shannon tune "Keep Searchin' (We'll Follow the Sun)" and on Moby Grape's "8:05". Initially, Olson was to have performed "8:05" with her recording partner, Gene Clark, but he died before the recording was made. "She Don't Care About Time", a song written by Clark, was performed with Richie Furay.
In his review of the album music critic Thom Jurek stated:
- Though there isn't a weak cut in bunch, there are some soaring highlights It ends the set by seamlessly melding folk, rock, and country. Have Harmony, Will Travel is a welcome return for Olson, but that's not all. With its direct, kinetic production, compelling song choices, and inspired performances, it is a blueprint for future duet recordings.
|1.||"You Can Come Cryin’ To Me"||Radney Foster||Juice Newton||4:52|
|2.||"Look What You’ve Done"||Wes Farrell, Bob Johnston||Rob Waller||3:21|
|3.||"Love’s Made a Fool Of You"||Buddy Holly, Bob Montgomery||James Intveld||2:28|
|4.||"Keep Searchin’ (We’ll Follow The Sun)"||Del Shannon||Peter Case||2:36|
|5.||"Still Waters"||Chris Jagger||Gary Myrick||4:35|
|6.||"She Don’t Care About Time"||Gene Clark||Richie Furay||2:54|
|7.||"All I Needed Was You"||Steven Van Zandt||Scott Kempner||5:22|
|8.||"The First In Line"||Paul Kennerley||John York||3:23|
|9.||"Stringin’ Me On"||James Intveld||Juice Newton||4:08|
|10.||"Upon a Painted Ocean"||P. F. Sloan||John York||3:40|
|11.||"8:05"||Jerry Miller, Don Stevenson||Peter Case||2:45|
|12.||"Til The Rivers All Run Dry"||Wayland Holyfield, Don Williams||Rob Waller||3:48|
- Carla Olson – acoustic and electric guitar, vocals
- Peter Case – featured artist, acoustic, rhythm and electric guitar, vocals
- Richie Furay – featured artist, vocals
- James Intveld – featured artist, electric guitar, vocals
- Scott Kempner – featured artist, rhythm guitar, vocals
- Gary Myrick – featured artist
- Juice Newton – primary artist, vocals
- Rob Waller – featured artist, vocals
- John York – 12-string guitar, acoustic guitar, vocals
- Clem Burke – drums
- Cindy Cashdollar – lap steel guitar
- Mike Clinco – nylon string guitar
- Skip Edwards – piano
- Tom Fillman – drums
- Barry Goldberg – Hammond B3, piano
- Rick Hemmert – drums
- Tony Marsico – bass
- Tom Junior Morgan – saxophone
- Richard Podolor – nylon string guitar, mandolin
- Marty Rifkin – pedal steel guitar
- Pat Robinson – bass, piano
- Gregg Sutton – bass
- Jurek, Thom. Review of Have Harmony, Will Travel at AllMusic. Retrieved November 1, 2016.
- Discography of Carla Olson at AllMusic. Retrieved November 1, 2016.
- Ragogna, Mike (June 28, 2013). "Have Harmony, Will Travel: A Conversation With Carla Olson, Plus a Koji and Run For Cover Exclusive". The Blog. Huffington Post. Retrieved November 1, 2016.