Hatherton is a settlement and civil parish located 3 1⁄4 miles (5.2 km) south-east of Penkridge, and on the western edge of modern-day Cannock, Staffordshire, England, and lying adjacent to and north of Watling Street, now the A5.
St. Saviour, Hatherton
The civil parish include the village of Calf Heath.
Hatherton was given to Wolverhampton monastery by Lady Wulfruna in 994. Its name, Hagerthorndun in the Domesday Book, means "the hill where Hawthorns grow". It was once an exclave of Wolverhampton.
The Four Crosses inn at Hatherton features an inscription dated '1636N'. Hatherton Hall is an 1817, late-Georgian house, stucco finished, replacing a former Norman hall. The village church, St Saviour, dates from 1876.
- "History of Hatherton in South Staffordshire - Map and description". Retrieved 27 October 2012.
- Raven, Michael (2005). A Guide to Staffordshire and the Black Country, the Potteries and the Peak. Ashley, Market Drayton. pp. 168–169. ISBN 0906114330.
- South Staffordhire council Archived 2014-10-15 at the Wayback Machine
- Hadfield, Charles (1985). The Canals of the West Midlands. David and Charles. ISBN 0-7153-8644-1.
|This Staffordshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|