Szeroka street in the town centre
|County||Grodzisk Wielkopolski County|
|Gmina||Gmina Grodzisk Wielkopolski|
|• Mayor||Henryk Szymański|
|• Total||18.09 km2 (6.98 sq mi)|
|• Density||760/km2 (2,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Area code(s)||+48 61|
Grodzisk Wielkopolski [ˈɡrɔd͡ʑisk vʲɛlkɔˈpɔlskʲi] (German: Grätz) is a town in western Poland, in Greater Poland Voivodeship (Wielkopolskie), with a population of 13,703 (2006). It is 43 kilometres (27 mi) south-west of Poznań, the voivodeship capital. It is the seat of Grodzisk Wielkopolski County, and also of the smaller administrative district called Gmina Grodzisk Wielkopolski. The suffix "Wielkopolski" distinguishes it from the town of Grodzisk Mazowiecki in east-central Poland.
The exact date when the town received its charter is unknown. Documents say that the town definitely had its town charter in 1303. It was a private town of Polish noble families of Ostroróg and Opaliński, administratively located within the Poznań Voivodeship in the Greater Poland Province of the Polish Crown.
The first Jews settled in the town at the beginning of the 16th century. The first document to back this up was in 1505, mentioning the Jew Abraham of Grodzisk In Yiddish and Hebrew, the town is known as גרידץ (Gritz or Gritza)
Stanisław Ostroróg as a Lutheran in 1563 gave the local church to Protestants and he also founded a new school in the town. Grodzisk became an important printing center for the Polish Reformation, however in 1594 Jan Ostroróg as a supporter of Catholicism reintroduced Catholicism in the town.
In 1593, the census for Grodzisk Wielkopolski said that the population was approximately 1,160. The town charter was renewed with the inclusion of a new town about 150 metres from the old town. In 1601, the first privileges for the brewery were awarded. The town quickly became important for the production of beer (Grodziskie style). At the end of the 18th century, there were 53 breweries in the city. In 1626, the mayor of the city changed to the Opaliński family. They remained as mayors until 1775.
In 1793, the town was annexed by Prussia in the Second Partition of Poland. Grodzisk was an important insurgent center during the Polish Kościuszko Uprising in 1794. In 1807 it became part of the short-lived Polish Duchy of Warsaw, and in 1815 it was reannexed by Prussia, under the Germanized name Grätz. In the Greater Poland uprising (1848) during the Revolutions of 1848 a battle was fought between the Polish insurgents and Prussian troops in the present-day district of Doktorowo. From 1887 to 1918, it was the seat of Kreis Grätz.
In November 1918, after World War I, Poland regained independence, and in December local Poles formed armed units in attempt to rejoin Poland. Poles took control of the town without fighting, however volunteers from Grodzisk participated in the Greater Poland uprising in other places, as well as in the Polish–Soviet War. The town was confirmed as part of Poland in the 1919 Treaty of Versailles, and was until 1932 the seat of a county or powiat.
During World War II, the town was under German occupation. In Młyniewo, a nearby village, a transit camp was formed for onward transport to Nazi concentration camps, initially for Jews and later for Poles and French, Serbian, English and Soviet prisoners of war. Poles were also subjected to expulsions, the first of which was carried out in November 1939, nevertheless, the Polish resistance movement was active in the town. On January 27, 1945, the city was taken by the Red Army, and afterwards restored to Poland.
A historical museum called Muzeum Ziemi Grodziskiej is located in the town.
The local football team is Dyskobolia Grodzisk Wielkopolski. It plays in the lower leagues, but in the 1990s and 2000s it competed in the Ekstraklasa, the country's top flight, finishing 2nd in 2003 and 2005. Dyskobolia is also two-times winner of the Polish Cup.
Twin towns — Sister citiesEdit
Grodzisk Wielkopolski is twinned with:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Grodzisk Wielkopolski.|