Gary Stephan (born: Brooklyn, NY, 1942) is an artist who has exhibited his work throughout the United States and Europe. Exhibiting since the late 1960s, Stephan creates Postmodern art in the form of idiosyncraticly abstract paintings and prints, sculpture, photography and video art. His work has been exhibited at institutions including the Drawing Center, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Aldrich Museum of Contemporary Art, and the Whitney Museum.
Stephan studied industrial design at Parsons School of Design and at Pratt Institute. In 1965, he moved to San Francisco and received his Master of Fine Arts degree from the San Francisco Art Institute in 1967. After returning to New York, he was a studio assistant to Jasper Johns until he started showing with the David Whitney Gallery in 1970. This and the Whitney Biennial Exhibitions of 1971 and 1973 were followed by sufficient shows and reviews to prompt Roberta Smith in the New York Times to refer to his work as “among the most closely watched developments of the early ’70s.”
He lives and works in New York City & Stone Ridge, NY and is on the faculty of the School of Visual Arts MFA program. He is represented by Susan Inglett Gallery in New York City and Devening Projects + Editions in Chicago.
A retrospective exhibition is taking place at the Kienzle Art Foundation in Berlin from 13 September 2017 to 13 January 2018.
- American Academy of Arts and Letters
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship
- National Endowment for the Arts
- The New York Arts Foundation
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art
- Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
- Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington, DC
- Brooklyn Museum
- Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum New York, NY
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, NY
- Museum of Modern Art, New York, NY
- Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, NY
- Gary Stephan: Book of Nine, nine engravings after drawings with nine homographs. New York: The Museum of Modern Art, 1983
- Peter Schjeldahl: Gary Stephan, Same Body Different Day. West Stockbridge MA, 1999
- Smith, Roberta (2007-02-16). "High Times, Hard Times: New York Painting, 1967-1975 - Art - Review". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2016-05-09.