Friedrich Wilhelm Gymnasium

The Friedrich Wilhelm Gymnasium (or Friedrich-Wilhelms-Gymnasium) was a secondary school (gymnasium) in Berlin that existed from 1797 until the end of the Second World War.

HistoryEdit

The school originated in a realschule founded by the Pietist Johann Julius Hecker in 1747, the first secondary school in Berlin. On its 50th anniversary in 1797 the school was renamed after Friedrich Wilhelm III, who had succeeded his father as King of Prussia earlier in that year, and wanted to improve the successful secondary school. He gave money for an extra building to house the expanded school. The school buildings were located on Friedrichstrasse in the Friedrichstadt district.[1]

ReferencesEdit

  1. ^ Friedrichs-Straße. In: C. F. Wegener: Haus- und General-Adreßbuch der Königl. Haupt- und Residenzstadt Berlin, 1822, Part 3, p. 85. (in German)