Frankfurt Egelsbach Airport (German: Flugplatz Frankfurt-Egelsbach) (IATA: QEF[1], ICAO: EDFE[3]) is a general aviation airport located near Egelsbach, a town in the German state of Hesse. It is just southeast of Frankfurt Airport.

Frankfurt Egelsbach Airport

Flugplatz Frankfurt-Egelsbach
Luftaufnahme Flugplatz Egelsbach.jpg
Airport typePublic
OperatorHessische Flugplatz GmbH Egelsbach
ServesFrankfurt, Germany
Elevation AMSL385 ft / 117 m
Coordinates49°57′40″N 008°38′37″E / 49.96111°N 8.64361°E / 49.96111; 8.64361
Direction Length Surface
m ft
08/26 1,400 4,593 Asphalt
08/26 670 2,198 Grass
Source: AIP VFR Excerpts,[2]
A Cessna 172 at Egelsbach


The airport was opened in 1955 with a single grass runway. It proved popular, and by 1957 was already seeing 37,000 movements a year. Because of this, in 1966, an asphalt runway was constructed and by 1977 the number of movements had increased to 126,000 a year. In 2007, about 77,000 movements were made, making it the busiest airport for general aviation in Germany.

To allow for larger aircraft to land, in 2004 construction was started on a runway expansion, which increased the runway length to its current 1,400 meters. In May 2009, NetJets Europe announced that they intended to purchase the airport.

Today NetJets owns 80% of the aerodrome (the other 20% being owned by local communities) and intends to establish IFR procedures at the airport, including an ILS approach. It is also planned to extend the runway by another 270 meters and increase the width by 5 meters.[4]


The airport resides at an elevation of 385 feet (117 m) above mean sea level. It has two runways, both in the 08/26 direction (though no left (L) or right (R) markings or indicators are used): a 1,400 by 25 metres (4,593 ft × 82 ft) asphalt runway and a 670 by 30 metres (2,198 ft × 98 ft) grass runway.

Airlines and destinationsEdit

There are no scheduled services to and from Frankfurt Egelsbach Airport.

Accidents and incidentsEdit

  • On 1 March 2012, a Cessna Citation X arriving from Linz Airport crashed in a forest about 4 km from the airport. All five people on board were killed. The reason for the crash is unknown.[5]
  • On 30 June 2015, a Diamond DA20 Katana experienced problems during takeoff and struck the overhead wires on the adjacent Main-Neckar Railway. The plane crashed and was then hit by a goods train. The pilot was severely injured and the co-pilot died.[6][7]
  • On 31 March 2019, an Epic LT crashed while landing. The chairwoman and co-owner of S7 Airlines Natalia Fileva, died in the crash along with 2 other people on board.[8]

See alsoEdit


  1. ^ a b Frankfurt-Egelsbach Airport QEF EDFE at the Handbook of Business Aviation
  2. ^ AIP VFR from
  3. ^ Egelsbach Airport (ICAO: EDFE) at Aviation Safety Network
  4. ^ - Pläne von NetJets am Flugplatz Egelsbach (German), page retrieved April 3, 2011.
  5. ^ Aviation Safety Net, page retrieved March 4, 2012.
  6. ^ Horst Cronauer; Michaela Steuer; Jürgen Mahnke (30 June 2015). "Frau stirbt bei Kleinflugzeugabsturz". BILD Frankfurt. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
  7. ^ "cawo" (30 June 2015). "Kleinflugzeug in Oberleitung gestürzt". Hessischer Rundfunk. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
  8. ^ "Co-owner of Russia's S7 airline dies in plane crash near Frankfurt". 31 March 2019. Retrieved 31 March 2019.

External linksEdit

  Media related to Flugplatz Egelsbach at Wikimedia Commons