Gélinas in 2020
|Member of the Ontario Provincial Parliament|
for Nickel Belt
|Assumed office |
October 10, 2007
|Preceded by||Shelley Martel|
|Political party||New Democratic|
|Residence||Naughton, Sudbury, Ontario|
|Profession||Physiotherapist, health care administrator|
Gélinas was born and raised in Shawinigan, Quebec. She is trained as a physiotherapist and has been the executive director of the Community Health Centre of Sudbury, on the United Way's Citizens' Advisory Panel, served as president of the Francophone Reference Group of the Northern Ontario School of Medicine. She lives in the Naughton neighbourhood of Sudbury with her family.
She ran in the 2007 provincial election as the New Democratic candidate in the riding of Nickel Belt. She defeated Liberal candidate Ron Dupuis by 2,762 votes. She was re-elected in the 2011, and 2014 elections.
Following the announcement of Howard Hampton's retirement as leader of the Ontario New Democratic Party, there was some speculation in Sudbury's local media that Gélinas might join the leadership campaign. However, she indicated on June 16, 2008 that as a relatively new MPP, she did not feel that she was ready to become a leadership candidate. She later endorsed Gilles Bisson for the leadership, and supported the eventual winner, Andrea Horwath, on the final ballot at the convention.
In 2009, Gélinas introduced the Healthy Decisions for Healthy Eating bill, a private member's bill which would mandate the provision of nutritional and calorie information on restaurant menus. In 2011, she introduced a private member's bill to have the provincial Commissioner of French Language Services report to the full Legislative Assembly of Ontario, rather than exclusively to the Minister of Francophone Affairs.
In 2014 she was re-elected with 62.66% of the vote, the highest percent of any MPP in Ontario that year.
In 2015, Gélinas introduced a private member's bill to mandate the creation of a fully independent French-language university in Ontario.
|2018 Ontario general election|
|New Democratic||France Gélinas||23,157||63.50||+0.84|
|Progressive Conservative||Jo-Ann Cardinal||8,018||21.99||+10.11|
|Northern Ontario||Matthew Del Papa||373||1.02|
|Consensus Ontario||Kevin R. Brault||214||0.59|
|None of the Above||Bailey Burch-Belanger||166||0.46|
|Total valid votes||36,467||100.0|
|New Democratic hold||Swing|
|Source: Elections Ontario|
|2014 Ontario general election|
|New Democratic||France Gélinas||19,941||62.66||+7.77|
|Progressive Conservative||Marck Blay||3,782||11.88||-6.47|
|Green||Heather K. Dahlstrom||1,123||3.53||+1.03|
|Total valid votes||31,823||100.00|
|New Democratic hold||Swing||+5.05|
|Source: Elections Ontario|
|New Democratic||France Gélinas||16,826||54.89||+8.26|
|Progressive Conservative||Paula Peroni||5,625||18.35||+8.29|
|Total valid votes||30,655||100.00|
|New Democratic||France Gélinas||15,126||46.6||0.08|
|Progressive Conservative||Renée Germain||3,264||10.1||-3.39|
|Family Coalition||Richard St-Denis||341||1.1|
- "About France". Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- "Summary of Valid Ballots Cast for Each Candidate" (PDF). Elections Ontario. October 10, 2007. p. 9 (xviii). Archived from the original (PDF) on October 7, 2009. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "Summary of Valid Ballots Cast for Each Candidate" (PDF). Elections Ontario. October 6, 2011. p. 11. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 30, 2013. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "General Election by District: Nickel Belt". Elections Ontario. June 12, 2014. Archived from the original on June 14, 2014.
- "NDP demands crackdown on door-to-door marketers". Northern Life. May 23, 2008. Archived from the original on September 28, 2011.
- Mulligan, Carol (February 2009). "Bidding for care, Cause for concern -- or rhetoric?". Sudbury Star.
- "Nurses protest layoffs in legislature". Toronto Star. March 5, 2009.
- Bradley, Bill (June 16, 2008). "Gelinas declines to run to replace NDP leader". Northern Life. Archived from the original on September 28, 2011.
- Ferguson, Rob (April 10, 2009). "Calorie-count bill clears hurdle". Toronto Star.
- "New bill to change who French language commissioner reports to". Sudbury Star. May 30, 2011.
- "Ontario needs a French university? Bien sûr, Gélinas says". Northern Life, May 26, 2015.
- Reevely, David (June 25, 2014). "Horwath sticks around, names NDP shadow cabinet".
- "Summary of Valid Votes Cast for each Candidate" (PDF). Elections Ontario. p. 6. Retrieved 20 January 2019.
- Elections Ontario (2014). "General Election Results by District 056, NIckel Belt". Archived from the original on 14 June 2014. Retrieved 13 June 2014.