File:Location of Earth (1x9-English Annot-small).png
Original file (4,553 × 29,999 pixels, file size: 1.02 GB, MIME type: image/png)
|This is a file from the Wikimedia Commons. Information from its description page there is shown below.|
Commons is a freely licensed media file repository. You can help.
|Warning||The original file has a large number of pixels and when opened at full resolution, may either not load properly or cause your browser to freeze. These problems can be avoided by use of the ZoomViewer.|
|DescriptionLocation of Earth (1x9-English Annot-small).png||
English: An illustration of the location of Earth in the Universe. It consists of a series of nine frames that show:
2. Earth’s location in the inner solar system in relation to other planets and their orbits (distance measures are average distances of objects to the Sun, not the Earth).
3. The Sun's location in the solar system with respect to the outer solar system and its planetary bodies.
4. The solar system’s position amongst the closest stars in the Milky Way.
5. Its location in the Orion arm of the Milky Way Galaxy.
6. The Milky Way Galaxy’s location in the Local Group, its nearest major and minor galaxies.
8. That supercluster’s location amongst the nearest superclusters in the Universe.
9. The observable universe with the local superclusters barely visible in the center.
Each frame contains annotations with the names of astronomical objects (in white) and their distance from Earth (in purple). The blue text indicates the object found in the previous frame. Some items have no distance attached while others are rough approximations or averages due to variances in research findings. Many of the objects and visible distances are inaccurate as they have been increased substantially for illustration purposes. The purple text indicates the real astronomical distances in several units: kilometers, light years (one light year is about 9.5 trillion kilometers, or 5.9 trillion miles), kilolight-years (equal to 1,000 light years), and megalight-years (equal to 1,000,000 light years).
Scaled down PNG
Inner Solar System
Outer Solar System
Milky Way Galaxy
Milky Way Galaxy
|Author||Andrew Z. Colvin|
(Reusing this file)
Contact the author Andrew Z. Colvin about errors, typos, alterations, or publication. Feel free to recreate in different languages and link to the description template so other editors can find the individual image parts to use. I do ask that when redistributing my work, kindly credit with my full name: Andrew Z. Colvin as I am the original author. I appreciate the cooperation and consideration of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License and the GNU Free Documentation License agreements.
Older version: File:Earth's Location in the Universe.jpg
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||06:54, 23 July 2018||4,553 × 29,999 (1.02 GB)||Azcolvin429||User created page with UploadWizard|
This file contains additional information, probably added from the digital camera or scanner used to create or digitize it.
If the file has been modified from its original state, some details may not fully reflect the modified file.
|Horizontal resolution||28.35 dpc|
|Vertical resolution||28.35 dpc|