Federal Mine Safety and Health Act of 1977
The Federal Mine Safety and Health Act of 1977 (Public Law 95-164) amended the Coal Mine Safety and Health Act of 1969. It can be found in the United States Code under Title 30, Mineral Lands and Mining, Chapter 22, Mine Safety and Health.
|Other short titles||Federal Mine Safety and Health Amendments Act of 1977|
|Long title||An Act to promote safety and health in the mining industry, to prevent recurring disasters in the mining industry, and for other purposes.|
|Acronyms (colloquial)||FMSHA, MSHA|
|Nicknames||Federal Mine Safety and Health Amendments Act|
|Enacted by||the 95th United States Congress|
|Effective||March 9, 1978|
|Statutes at Large||91 Stat. 1290|
|Acts amended||Federal Coal Mine Health and Safety Act of 1969|
|Titles amended||30 U.S.C.: Mineral Lands and Mining|
|U.S.C. sections amended||30 U.S.C. ch. 22 § 801 et seq.|
The law of the United States enacted on November 9, 1977 took effect one hundred and twenty days later.
- combination of coal, metal and non metal mines under single legislation
- retention of separate health and safety standards for coal mining
- transfer of enforcement from the Department of Interior to the Department of Labor
- renaming of the Mine Enforcement Safety Administration (MESA) as Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA)
- four annual inspections of underground coal mines
- two annual inspections of all surface mines
- elimination of advisory standards for metal and nonmetal mines
- discontinuation of state enforcement plans
- mandating of miner training
- requirement of mine rescue teams for all underground mines
- provision of increased involvement of miners and their representatives in health and safety activities
- Peters, Gerhard; Woolley, John T. "Jimmy Carter: "Federal Mine Safety and Health Amendments Act of 1977 Statement on Signing S. 717 Into Law.," November 9, 1977". The American Presidency Project. University of California - Santa Barbara.
- Indexed copy of Act
- Overview of mine safety legislative history
- US Code
- Legislative history
- "Reflections" Mining History, a short 2002 documentary on the history of American coal mining safety, leading up to and including the 1977 act, produced by the United States Mine Safety and Health Administration.
|This article about mining is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|