Helen Fay Dowker
9 September 1965
|Education||University of Cambridge (BA; PhD 1990)|
|Awards||Tyson Medal (1987)|
|Thesis||Space-time wormholes (1990)|
|Doctoral advisor||Stephen Hawking|
As a student, she was interested in wormholes and quantum cosmology. Having studied the Mathematical Tripos at the University of Cambridge, Dowker was awarded the Tyson Medal in 1987 and completed her Doctor of Philosophy for research on spacetime wormholes supervised by Stephen Hawking in 1990.
Career and researchEdit
She is currently a Professor of Theoretical Physics and a member of the Theoretical Physics Group at Imperial College London and an Affiliate of the Institute for Quantum Computing. She conducts research in a number of areas of theoretical physics including quantum gravity and causal set theory.
- Dowker, Helen Fay (1990). Space-time wormholes. ethos.bl.uk (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge. OCLC 839406193.
- Al-Khalili, Jim (2017). "Fay Dowker on a new theory of space-time". BBC.
- Fay Dowker at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Fay Dowker publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- Dowker, Fay; Gauntlett, Jerome P.; Kastor, David A.; Traschen, Jennie (1994). "Pair creation of dilaton black holes". Physical Review D. 49 (6): 2909. arXiv:hep-th/9309075. Bibcode:1994PhRvD..49.2909D. doi:10.1103/PhysRevD.49.2909.
- Dowker, Fay; Gauntlett, Jerome P; Giddings, Steven B.; Horowitz, Gary T. (1994). "Pair creation of extremal black holes and Kaluza-Klein monopoles". Physical Review D. 50 (4): 2662. arXiv:hep-th/9312172. Bibcode:1994PhRvD..50.2662D. doi:10.1103/PhysRevD.50.2662.
- Dowker, Fay; Gauntlett, Jerome P.; Gibbons, Gary W.; Horowitz, Gary T. (1995). "Decay of magnetic fields in Kaluza-Klein theory". Physical Review D. 52 (12): 6929. arXiv:hep-th/9507143. Bibcode:1995PhRvD..52.6929D. doi:10.1103/PhysRevD.52.6929.
- Fay Dowker on IMDb
- "Former Students". hawking.org.uk. Stephen Hawking. Archived from the original on 2009-02-28.
- Dowker, Fay Page at Imperial College London
- Dowker, Fay Personal webpage (last updated 2003) Archived 9 April 2006 at the Wayback Machine
- Dowker, Fay (2013). "Introduction to causal sets and their phenomenology". General Relativity and Gravitation. 45 (9): 1651. Bibcode:2013GReGr..45.1651D. doi:10.1007/s10714-013-1569-y.
- Dowker, Fay; Glaser, Lisa (2013). "Causal set d'Alembertians for various dimensions". Classical and Quantum Gravity. 30 (19): 195016. arXiv:1305.2588. Bibcode:2013CQGra..30s5016D. doi:10.1088/0264-9381/30/19/195016.
- Afshordi, Niayesh; Buck, Michel; Dowker, Fay; Rideout, David; Sorkin, Rafael D.; Yazdi, Yasaman K. (2012). "A ground state for the causal diamond in 2 dimensions". Journal of High Energy Physics. 2012 (10). arXiv:1207.7101. Bibcode:2012JHEP...10..088A. doi:10.1007/JHEP10(2012)088.
- History Theoretical Physics Group, Imperial College London
- Anon (2015). "Stuart Dowker". University of Manchester. Archived from the original on 18 May 2017.
- Dowker, Fay; Elizalde, Emilio; Kirsten, Klaus (2012). "Applications of zeta functions and other spectral functions in mathematics and physics: a special issue in honour of Stuart Dowker's 75th birthday". Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical. 45 (37): 370301. Bibcode:2012JPhA...45a0101D. doi:10.1088/1751-8113/45/37/370301. ISSN 1751-8113.
- "Prof Stephen Hawking funeral: Legacy 'will live forever'". BBC News. 31 March 2018.
|This article about a physicist of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|