Politico Europe (stylized as POLITICO Europe) is the European edition of the American news organization Politico reporting and supporting the European Union. Its headquarters are located in Brussels with additional offices in London, Berlin, Warsaw, Paris, and Frankfurt.
|Owner(s)||Politico and Axel Springer AG|
|Editor||Stephen Brown (since January 2019)|
|Headquarters||Politico Europe, |
Rue de la Loi 62,
In September 2014, Politico formed a joint venture with German publisher Axel Springer SE to launch its European edition. In December 2014, the joint venture announced its acquisition of Development Institute International, a leading French conference business, and European Voice, a European political newspaper previously part of the Economist Group, to be relaunched under the Politico brand. Among the participants of the launch event on April 21, 2015, was President of the European Council Donald Tusk and then President of the European Parliament Martin Schulz.
Politico Europe debuted with its first print issue two days later, on April 23, 2015.
In June 2018, the second year in a row, the annual ComRes/Burson-Marsteller survey among EU experts named Politico Europe as the most influential publication on European affairs. Despite its relative newness to the Brussels media landscape, Politico Europe has ranked above established publications such as the Financial Times, The Economist, BBC and the Wall Street Journal, as well as Twitter and Facebook.
Politico Pro is a premium politics and policy news service that launched in 2015. The newsletter based subscriptions cover different policy areas such as Agriculture and Food, Financial Services, Healthcare, Trade, Energy and Climate, Technology and Transportation. There are also products that are less industry focused but instead provide information on a certain topic like Brexit, sustainability, data and digitization, the EU Budget or competition. In April 2018, Politico Europe added DataPoint, a research platform that gives subscribers access to presentations and analysis about topics from various policy areas, to its subscription portfolio. Politico Pro’s paid offerings reach 45.000 subscribers. Subscription prices start at 7000 euros a year, but can also be in the high five-digit range.
Stephen Brown was named editor-in-chief in September 2019, having already taken over as executive editor from Matthew Kaminski who is now Politico’s editor-in-chief, based in Washington. Shéhérazade Semsar de-Boisséson is the CEO.
In March 2018, Florian Eder took over the flagship morning newsletter Brussels Playbook from Ryan Heath, who authored the Brussels Playbook for three years. In September 2017, Politico Europe launched the London Playbook morning newsletter with Jack Blanchard as the lead writer. Brussels Playbook has now around 90.000 subscribers, London Playbook has 40.000 subscribers.
The majority of the publication's articles cover the day-to-day business of the European Commission, the European Parliament, the Council of the European Union and the EU's interactions in domestic and international affairs. Politico Europe also publishes profiles of important or influential public figures within the European Union. Politico Europe also organizes and hosts EU-related conferences, seminars, and debates.
- "Politico is expanding Playbook to London - Digiday". Digiday. 2017-06-02. Retrieved 2018-10-01.
- Pallota, Frank (September 9, 2014). "Politico's next battleground: Europe". CNN.
- Hagey, Keach (2014-09-09). "Politico, Axel Springer to Start European News Venture". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- Emmerentze Jervell, Ellen (December 10, 2014). "Politico, Axel Springer Buy European Voice". The Wall Street Journal.
- "Subscribe to read". Financial Times. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- Jarvis, Alice-Azania (April 30, 2015). "Politico: the US news site launches in Europe". Evening Standard.
- "Politico Europe". Professional.co.uk.
- "Half of Politico Europe's revenues come from paid subscriptions". Digiday. 2018-04-12. Retrieved 2018-05-10.
- "2018 EU Media Survey" (PDF). ComRes/Burson·Marsteller. 2018.
- "Politico introduces paid-for 'professional' subscription services to Europe five months after launch – Press Gazette". www.pressgazette.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- "Half of Politico Europe's revenues come from paid subscriptions - Digiday". Digiday. 2018-04-12. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- "Politico se renforce en Europe via une acquisition". www.lecho.be (in French). Retrieved 2018-09-05.
- "Alles für die Blase". www.sueddeutsche.de (in German). Retrieved 2018-09-05.
- "Politico se renforce en Europe via une acquisition". L'Echo (in French). 2018-07-03. Retrieved 2018-10-01.
- "POLITICO Europe launches Pro Intelligence platform to empower reporting on EU policies". 2018-10-17. Retrieved 2018-10-29.
- "POLITICO EUROPE NAMES STEPHEN BROWN EDITOR IN CHIEF". POLITICO.
- "Springer macht Stephen Brown zum europäischen Politico-Redaktionschef". turi2 (in German). Retrieved 2018-12-10.
- Lewis-Kraus, Gideon (2015-06-18). "Can Politico make Brussels sexy? | Gideon Lewis-Kraus". the Guardian. Retrieved 2018-10-01.
- "POLITICO Brussels Playbook, presented by EPP Group: Selmayr day in Strasbourg — Euro future — New old National Front". Politico. 2018-03-12. Retrieved 2018-10-01.
- "Politico prévoit le break-even cette année - L'Echos". L'Echo (in French). 2019-08-13.
- Lewis-Kraus, Gideon (2015-06-18). "Can Politico make Brussels sexy? | Gideon Lewis-Kraus". the Guardian. Retrieved 2018-10-02.
- Mühlauer, Alexander (2018-04-08). "Alles für die Blase". sueddeutsche.de (in German). ISSN 0174-4917. Retrieved 2018-12-12.