Ernst Gottfried Baldinger
Ernst Gottfried Baldinger
Copper engraving of Baldinger by Konrad Westermeyer
|Died||21 January 1804 (aged 65)|
|Alma mater||University of Erfurt|
University of Halle
University of Jena
|Known for||De Militum Morbis (1765)|
|Institutions||University of Göttingen|
University of Marburg
|Doctoral advisor||Ernst Anton Nicolai|
|Other academic advisors||Christoph Mangold|
|Doctoral students||Samuel Thomas von Sömmerring|
Johann Friedrich Blumenbach
Johann Christian Gottlieb Ackermann
Johann Christian Wiegleb
He studied medicine at Erfurt, Halle and Jena, earning his MD in 1760 under the guidance of Ernst Anton Nicolai and in 1761 was entrusted with the superintendence of the military hospitals connected with the Prussian encampment near Torgau.
He published a treatise in 1765, De Militum Morbis, which met with a favourable reception. In 1768, he became professor of medicine at Jena, which he left in 1773 for Göttingen, and in 1785 he moved to Marburg, where he died of apoplexy on 21 January 1804.
Among his pupils were Johann Friedrich Blumenbach, Samuel Thomas von Sömmerring, Albrecht Thaer, and Johann Christian Wiegleb. He wrote approximately 84 separate treatises, in addition to numerous papers scattered through various collections and journals. He corresponded with Swedish botanist Carl Linnaeus and was the author of some plant names.
- 1769-1778 Pallas, P. S., Erxleben, J. C. P., Baldinger, E. G. [full title] Peter Simon Pallas Naturgeschichte merkwuerdiger Thiere, in welcher vornehmlich neue und unbekannte Thierarten durch Kupferstiche, Beschreibungen und Erklaerungen erlaeutert werden. Durch den Verfasser verteutscht. I. Band 1 bis 10te Sammlung mit Kupfern. Berlin und Stralsund, G. A. Lange (Samml. 1-10), 48 Taf.
- 1783-1785 Historia mercurii et mercurialium medica (Volume 1/2) Digital edition by the University and State Library Düsseldorf
- "Academic Genealogy of the NDSU Department of Chemistry, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology" (PDF). North Dakota State University, USA. Retrieved March 16, 2012.
- Zimmermann, Susanne, „Nicolai, Ernst Anton“, in: Neue Deutsche Biographie 19 (1998), S. 200 f. [Onlinefassung]
- "Memoir of Thaer" in: A.D. Thaer. The Principles of Agriculture, Volume 1. William Shaw and Cuthbert W. Johnson (tr.). Ridgway, 1844. p. vii
- "L5399.1.283 from Ernst Gottfried Baldinger to Carl Linnaeus (February 1762)". Linnean Correspondence. Linnean Society of London. Retrieved March 19, 2012. External link in
- IPNI. Baldinger.
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. .