Enghien-les-Bains (French pronunciation: [ɑ̃ɡɛ̃lebɛ̃]) is a commune in the northern suburbs of Paris, France. It is located 13.5 kilometres (8.4 mi) from the centre of Paris, in the département of Val-d'Oise.
Boardwalk by the Lake of Enghien in the town centre. In the background is the Casino of Enghien-les-Bains
Location (in red) within Paris inner and outer suburbs
|Intercommunality||CA Plaine Vallée|
|• Mayor (1989–2020)||Philippe Sueur|
|1.77 km2 (0.68 sq mi)|
|• Density||6,500/km2 (17,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||33–53 m (108–174 ft)|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Enghien-les-Bains is famous as a spa resort and a well-to-do suburb of Paris, developed in the nineteenth century around the scenic lake of Enghien. A casino, the only one in the vicinity of Paris, is located on the shores of the lake.
The suffix les Bains (literally "the Baths") was added to the name when the commune was incorporated in 1850, to distinguish this place from the Belgian city of Enghien, near Mons, and to acknowledge the thermal baths for which Enghien-les-Bains is famous.
The name Enghien itself does refer to the Belgian city, which was a fief of the princes of Condé, a cadet branch of the French royal family, who inherited the duchy of Montmorency in 1633. In 1689 they were allowed by King Louis XIV to rename the duchy of Montmorency to be the "duchy of Enghien", in order to revive the title, duc d'Enghien, which they had lost in 1569 at the death of Louis I de Bourbon, prince de Condé, who had not legally registered the title.
The village of Montmorency (now a city) continued to be known as "Montmorency", despite the official name change, but the name "Enghien" clung to the nearby lake and marshland that would later become the commune of Enghien-les-Bains.
In the nineteenth century, the development of Enghien led to its incorporation as a commune. The commune, which was named Enghien-les-Bains, was created on 7 August 1850 by detaching a part of the territory of Deuil-la-Barre and merging it with a part of the territory of Saint-Gratien, a part of the territory of Soisy-sous-Montmorency, and a part of the territory of Épinay-sur-Seine.
Known as the biggest place to gamble near Paris, Enghien les Bains casino, which opened in 1901 was recently renovated to provide luxury and comfort to all tourists traveling to the capital of France.
The resort has two hotels and offers to the guests the opportunity to dine in one of its many restaurants. You will also find bars and a theater where concerts and shows are organized.
On the first floor of the casino, you will find nearly 40 table games featuring Blackjack, Punto Banco in addition to French and English Roulette.
Twin towns — sister citiesEdit
- Marcel Bleustein-Blanchet, member of the Free French resistance and founder of the Publicis advertising empire (1906-1996).
- Johanna Joseph, basketball player.
- Mistinguett, actress and singer (1875–1956).
- Alphonse Laurencic, Republican activist and trade unionist in Spain.
- Laurine Lecavelier, figure skater.
- Aurelien Collin, Football player for New York Red Bulls of Major League Soccer.
- Philippe Méaille, Contemporary Art Collector (1973).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Enghien-les-Bains.|
- (in French) Enghien-les-Bains city council website
- (in French) Photo gallery of Enghien and its lake on photoenligne