Encyclopedia.com (also known as HighBeam Encyclopedia) is an online encyclopedia. It aggregates information from other published dictionaries, encyclopedias and reference works including pictures and videos. It received Codie awards in 2009 and 2010. The website is operated by Chicago based company Highbeam Research a subsidiary of reference publisher Gale itself a subsidiary of Cengage.
Logo of Encyclopedia.com
Type of site
|Owner||Highbeam Research |
|Alexa rank||12,899 (November 2018)|
Encyclopedia.com allows users to access information on a subject from multiple encyclopedias and dictionary sources, and has nearly 200,000 entries and 50,000 topic summaries. It provides a collection of online encyclopedias and entries from various sources, including Oxford University Press, Columbia Encyclopedia and Gale its parent company.
The website was launched by Infonautics in March 1998. Infonautics was acquired by Tucows in August 2001. In August 2002, Patrick Spain bought Encyclopedia.com and its sister website eLibrary from Tucows and incorporated them in a new company called Alacritude, LLC (a combination of Alacrity and Attitude). The business became known as Highbeam Research and was eventually sold to Gale.
- "Encyclopedia.com Traffic, Demographics and Competitors". alexa.com. Retrieved 14 June 2018.
- "Curlie - Reference: Encyclopedias". curlie.org.
- "Encyclopedia.com Named 2009 CODiE Award Winner". Cengage. Retrieved 2017-12-28.
- Myers, Fort (2011-07-27). "Partnership With HighBeam Research and Encyclopedia.com". Yippy Inc. Retrieved 2018-03-25.
- "Gale Acquires HighBeam Research, Inc". Cengage. 2008-12-15. Retrieved 2018-06-14.
- "Wikipedia down? Try these alternatives - gHacks Tech News". ghacks.net. Retrieved 2017-12-28.
- "Encyclopedia.com | Free Online Encyclopedia". encyclopedia.com. Archived from the original on July 13, 2018.
Featured publications from Gale on the homepage: "International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences"; "Cities of the World"; "Encyclopedia of American Foreign Policy"...
- "About Us". Retrieved 7 March 2018.
- "Infonautics Launches Encyclopedia.Com". Information Today. Information Today, Inc. 15 (3). March 1998. Retrieved 14 June 2018.
- Hane, Paula J. (26 August 2002). "Tucows Sells Two Former Infonautics Services". newsbreaks.infotoday.com. Information Today, Inc.
- Gwen (December 16, 2008). "Internet News: Gale Acquired HighBeam Research". Websearchguide.ca. Archived from the original on March 5, 2012.