Edward S. Casey
Edward S. Casey (born February 24, 1939 in Topeka, Kansas) is an American philosopher and university professor. He has published several volumes on phenomenology, philosophical psychology, and the philosophy of space and place. His work is widely cited in contemporary continental philosophy. He is currently Distinguished Professor of Philosophy at Stony Brook University in New York and distinguished visiting faculty at Pacifica Graduate Institute.
Edward S. Casey
|Born||February 24, 1939|
Topeka, Kansas, US
|School||Continental philosophy, Phenomenology|
|Contemporary continental philosophy, Aesthetics, Philosophical psychology, Psychoanalytic theory, Philosophy of Mind|
|imagination, edges, the glance, place and space, remembering|
Casey received his Ph.D. in Philosophy from Northwestern University in 1967, after studying at Yale University (B.A., 1961). Prior to Stony Brook University, he taught at Yale, Pacifica Graduate Institute, the University of California at Santa Barbara, the New School for Social Research, Emory University, and several other institutions.
Casey has cited as primary influences Immanuel Kant, the phenomenologists Maurice Merleau-Ponty, Edmund Husserl and Martin Heidegger, as well as his teachers William A. Earle at Northwestern University and Paul Ricoeur, with whom he studied at the Sorbonne over several years on a Fulbright Fellowship.
Casey was president of the American Philosophical Association (Eastern Division) from 2009-2010 and Dean of the Faculty of Arts at Stony Brook University. He conducts research in aesthetics, the philosophy of space and time, ethics, perception, and psychoanalytic theory.
- The World on Edge (Indiana, 2017)
- The World at a Glance (Indiana, 2007)
- Earth-Mapping: Artists Reshaping Landscape (Minnesota, 2005)
- Representing Place: Landscape Painting and Maps (Minnesota, 2002)
- The Fate of Place: A Philosophical History (California, 1996)
- Getting Back into Place: Toward a Renewed Understanding of the Place-World (Indiana, 1993; 2nd edition, 2009)
- Remembering: A Phenomenological Study (Indiana, 1987; 2nd edition, 2000)
- Imagining: A Phenomenological Study (Indiana, 1976; 2nd edition, 2000)
- Spirit and Soul: Essays in Philosophical Psychology (Spring Publications, 1991)
Donald A. Landes, Azucena Cruz-Pierre: Exploring the Work of Edward S. Casey: Giving Voice to Place, Memory, and Imagination (Bloomsbury Studies in American Philosophy). 2013
- "Pacifica Graduate Institute". Pacifica Graduate Institute Website. Retrieved 20 January 2019.
- Watson, James R. (1999). Portraits of American Continental Philosophers. Bloomington: Indiana University Press. pp. 35–44.