Editora Abril is a major Brazilian publisher and printing company and one of the biggest media holdings in Latin America. The company was founded in 1950 by Victor Civita in São Paulo and is now part of Grupo Abril.
|Founded||May 1950São Pauloin|
Number of locations
Rio de Janeiro
|Roberto Civita (President of the Management Board and Editorial Director, Giancarlo Civita (Executive President of Grupo Abril)|
|Revenue||US$ 1.8 billion (2010)|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||Abril Educação, Dinap S.A.|
Civita had initially founded his publisher as Editora Primavera, publishing an unsuccessful comic magazine named in Brazil Raio Vermelho. The following year, Civita changed its name to Abril -  referencing the month in which spring begins on the northern hemisphere - - and published its first title, Donald Duck, in Brazil called Pato Donald, which continues to run to this date. Abril's first magazine lead Civita to claim "It all started with a duck", parodying Walt Disney's declaration that "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing – that it was all started by Mickey Mouse.
Under its name it publishes titles like AnaMaria, Tititi, Minha Novela, Sou+Eu!, Quatro Rodas, Veja, Veja Rio, Veja São Paulo, Nova, Placar, Claudia, Boa Forma, Manequim, and Exame, as well as the Brazilian editions of Disney comics, Cosmopolitan, Men's Health, Women's Health, Runner's World, and Playboy.
- "Editora Abril lança Heróis da TV/I, estuda nova Premium e comemora sucesso de Marvel Século 21 - UNIVERSO HQ". UNIVERSO HQ - Desde 2000, a sua referência em quadrinhos! (in Portuguese). 2001-12-01. Retrieved 2020-09-12.
- Camilla Amaral (12 October 2009). "The Abril Group and Veja, leaders in the Brazilian publishing market". In a Global. Retrieved 6 August 2015.
- Maranhão, Carlos (2016-09-27). Roberto Civita: O dono da banca: A vida e as ideias do editor da Veja e da Abril (in Portuguese). Companhia das Letras. ISBN 9788543807096.
- Gonçalo Júnior (2004). A guerra dos gibis: a formação do mercado editorial brasileiro e a censura aos quadrinhos, 1933-1964. Companhia das Letras. ISBN 9788535905823.
- "Institutional Background". Grupo Abril. Archived from the original on 2013-01-11. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
|This article about media in Brazil is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|