Duchy of Salzburg
The Duchy of Salzburg (German: Herzogtum Salzburg) was a Cisleithanian crown land of the Austrian Empire and Austria-Hungary from 1849–1918. Its capital was Salzburg, while other towns in the duchy included Zell am See and Gastein.
Duchy of Salzburg
Duchy of Salzburg within Austria-Hungary
|Status||Crown land of the Austrian Empire (until 1867) and the Cisleithanian part of Austria-Hungary|
|1880||7,155 km2 (2,763 sq mi)|
In the course of the German mediatization of 1803, the Prince-archbishopric of Salzburg, an ecclesiastical State of the Holy Roman Empire, was secularized as the Electorate of Salzburg, ruled by the Habsburg archduke Ferdinand III of Austria. However, two years later, this short-lived principality was annexed by the newly established Austrian Empire according to the Peace of Pressburg and Ferdinand received the Grand Duchy of Würzburg in compensation. The electoral title became obsolete with the Empire's dissolution in 1806. By the Treaty of Schönbrunn of 1809, Salzburg temporarily became French and was released in 1810 to the Kingdom of Bavaria, where it formed the Salzachkreis.
After the end of the Napoleonic Wars and the 1816 Treaty of Munich, the Salzburg lands came back to Austria, with the exception of the share on the left bank of the Salzach river, the so-called Rupertiwinkel, which, like the former Prince-Provostry of Berchtesgaden, remained in Bavaria. Some smaller areas in the Ziller and Defereggen valleys fell to Tyrol; the town of Friesach was ceded to Carinthia. The Salzburg territory was administered from Linz as Salzburgkreis, the fifth district within the crown land of Upper Austria. The decreased significance led to emigration and economic crises. On the other hand, the remote province developed as a tourist destination, mainly for Alpinists like Archduke John of Austria.
After the Revolutions of 1848, the Salzburg territory was again separated from Upper Austria and became a new crown land in its own right, the Duchy of Salzburg, by resolution of 26 June 1849. Caroline Augusta of Bavaria, widow of the late Emperor Francis I of Austria, chose the city of Salzburg as her residence. According to the 1861 February Patent, the duchy received a Landtag diet. After the Austro-Hungarian Compromise of 1867, it belonged to the Cisleithanian (Austrian) part of Austria-Hungary.
- Chisholm, H. (1911). The Encyclopædia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and General Information. Handy volume issue. Encyclopædia Britannica Company. p. 106. Retrieved 14 September 2018.