Dual (upcoming film)
Dual is an upcoming satirical science fiction thriller film written, produced and directed by Riley Stearns. It tells story of woman, who receiving a terminal diagnosis commissions a clone of herself to ease her loss on her friends and family, but when she doesn't die but begins heal from her illness, her attempts to have her clone decommissioned fail and lead to a court-mandated duel to the death. The film stars Karen Gillan and Aaron Paul.
|Directed by||Riley Stearns|
|Screenplay by||Riley Stearns|
|Edited by||Sarah Beth Shapiro|
Film Service Finland Oy
The film is set to premiere in 2021.
In the near future, a woman named Sara hears that she is terminally ill. To save her family from the pain of losing, she opts for a cloning procedure of herself and begins to train clone to feel like Sara. But then Sara makes a miraculous recovery, which drives her to new problem: in the society of the future, human cannot exist for longer than the time limit at the same time as its clone. By law, Sara and her clone must eventually duel each other until the death of either.
The film was announced in April 2020, with Karen Gillan, Aaron Paul, Beulah Koale and Jesse Eisenberg cast. Principal photography began in October 2020. The film will be shot entirely in Tampere, Finland, and is also co-financed by IPR.VC, the Finnish venture capital company. Due to the worst COVID-19 pandemic in America, the film crew tried to find a suitable location in Canada and New Zealand, but to no avail, so Finland was chosen as the shooting location for the film. The filming took six weeks.
With the successful filming, the City of Tampere and Film Tampere signed an agreement with XYZ Films for other future productions of the company. The idea of organizing an international short film competition called Generation XYZ for the 2021 Tampere Film Festival arose from the same collaboration.
- Mandalia, Bhavi (October 22, 2020). "Movies A Hollywood film starring Marvel and Breaking Bad will be filmed in Tampere". PledgeTimes.com. Retrieved October 22, 2020.
- Karen Gillan, Aaron Paul, Jesse Eisenberg Set For Sci-Fi Thriller ‘Dual’
- White, James (April 29, 2020). "Karen Gillan And Aaron Paul On For Sci-Fi Thriller Dual". Empire. Retrieved December 5, 2020.
- Vanzo, Laura (October 26, 2020). "Tampere hosts Hollywood production". Good News from Finland. Finnfacts. Retrieved October 28, 2020.
- Haridy, Rich (December 28, 2020). "The best sci-fi/fantasy TV and film coming in 2021". New Atlas. Retrieved January 12, 2021.
- Kay, Jeremy (October 21, 2020). "Karen Gillan sci-fi 'Dual' starts production in Finland with Aaron Paul, Beulah Koale (exclusive)". Screen Daily. Retrieved October 22, 2020.
- Eisenberg, Eric (November 30, 2020). "Aaron Paul Looks Rough In BTS Photo From His Upcoming Sci-Fi Movie". CibemaBlend. Retrieved December 2, 2020.
- Gillan, Karen (October 19, 2020). "This is the face of someone who just wrapped her first day on the movie DUAL!". Instagram. Retrieved October 19, 2020.
- "US Film Production Got Excited About Tampere – International Movie Being Filmed Entirely In Finland". Business Finland. October 22, 2020. Retrieved October 23, 2020.
- Enqvist, Niina (November 7, 2020). "Hollywood star Karen Gillan slammed into a Tampere bar - the actress was presented with an offer in the soma that immediately caught the beauty's attention". Ilta-Sanomat. Teller Report. Retrieved November 8, 2020.
- Tani, Iida; Lempinen, Jenna (November 13, 2020). "The Tampere restaurant resorted to a cunning gimmick to get a Hollywood star as its customer - the restaurant manager didn't get a word out of his mouth when the world-famous actor stepped in". Ilta-Sanomat. Teller Report. Retrieved November 14, 2020.
- Pham, Annika (October 29, 2020). "Finnish VC firm boosts local economy with US partner XYZ Films". Nordisk Film & TV Fond. Retrieved October 30, 2020.
- Åkman, Erika (November 16, 2020). "The Hollywood director got to try the traditional Finnish way in Tampere - glow in the weather a weather phenomenon that takes the locals mostly to a standstill". Ilta-Sanomat. Teller Report. Retrieved November 21, 2020.
- "Agreement reached - More international films will be shot in Tampere". Ilta-Sanomat. Teller Report. November 23, 2020. Retrieved November 25, 2020.
- Kay, Jeremy (December 3, 2020). "XYZ Films, Finland's Film Tampere strike strategic alliance (exclusive)". Screen Daily. Retrieved December 4, 2020.
- Tampere Film Festival is launching a new competition for short genre films