|Launched||1 October 1998|
|Owned by||Discovery, Inc.|
|Picture format||16:9 576i SDTV|
0.02% (+1) (April 2017 , BARB)
|Formerly called||Discovery Civilisation (1999-2006)|
Discovery Civilization (2006-2007)
Discovery Knowledge (2007-2010)
|Sister channel(s)||Animal Planet|
Discovery Home & Health
|Timeshift service||Discovery History +1|
|Sky||Channel 171 |
Channel 271 (+1)
|Virgin Media||Channel 257 |
Channel 261 (+1)
|Virgin Media Ireland||Channel 212|
|Eir Vision||Channel 535|
|Virgin TV Anywhere||Watch live (UK only)|
|Virgin TV Anywhere Ireland||Watch live (Ireland only)|
The channel was initially known as the Discovery Civilisation Channel, later dropping 'Channel' from the name, and was devoted to documentaries regarding history and civilizations, historic, ancient or present, launched on Sky DIgital on 1st October 1998. On 1 November 2007, Discovery Civilisation was re-branded as Discovery Knowledge, by Heavenly. The new channel was still focused on history and natural history, but the schedule now included programming on engineering, crime and technology.
After just over three years, on 7 November 2010, Discovery Knowledge was rebranded as Discovery History. The idea behind this rebranding was to take the channel's focus back to becoming "the only UK channel dedicated to factual history", to counter the fact that its competitors History and Yesterday had begun showing more reality and scripted programming, respectively.
- Boehm, Erich (1998-08-19). "Discovery unveils digital TV nets". Variety. Retrieved 2018-03-31.
- "Discovery launches Knowledge channel". Digital Spy. 20 September 2007.
- "Discovery Knowledge". Heavenly. Archived from the original on September 14, 2010. Retrieved 8 November 2010.
- "Discovery to launch dedicated history channel". Media Week. 7 October 2010.
- "AETN loses High Court battle with Discovery". Broadcast. 11 February 2013. Retrieved 13 February 2013.