Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives of the Philippines
The Deputy Speakers of the House of Representatives of the Philippines are the second highest-ranking officials of the Philippine House of Representatives. During the absence of the House Speaker, one of the House Deputy Speakers will preside over the House of Representatives.
Usually, the House just names six people as deputy speakers, but House Majority Leader Rodolfo Fariñas said in August 2016 that they will increase the numbers to cater to the supposed move to federalism.
The current Deputy Speakers of the House of Representatives are the following:
- Paolo Duterte (Davao City–1st, Hugpong ng Pagbabago)
- Ferdinand L. Hernandez (South Cotabato–2nd, Nationalist People's Coalition)
- Evelina G. Escudero (Sorsogon–1st, Nationalist People's Coalition)
- Loren Legarda (Antique–Lone, Nationalist People's Coalition)
- Conrado Estrella III (ABONO Partylist)
- Prospero Pichay Jr. (Surigao del Sur–1st, Lakas–CMD)
- Roberto Puno (Antipolo–1st, National Unity Party)
- Eduardo Villanueva (CIBAC Partylist)
- Aurelio D. Gonzales Jr. (Pampanga–3rd, PDP-Laban)
- Johnny Pimentel (Surigao del Sur–2nd, PDP-Laban)
- Luis Raymund Villafuerte Jr. (Camarines Sur–2nd, Nacionalista)
- Vilma Santos-Recto (Batangas–6th, Nacionalista)
These deputy speakers were elected last July 22, 2019.
Duties and powersEdit
The duties and powers of the House Deputy Speakers, as contained in the House Rules, are the following:
- to assume the duties and powers of the Speaker when so chosen by a majority vote or by lot among themselves, as the case may be, when the Speaker is absent or temporarily incapacitated, until such time that the Speaker returns to the performance of his/her duties; and, in case of resignation, removal, permanent incapacity or death of the Speaker, until such time that a new Speaker is elected and qualified;
- to preside over the session when, even if present, the Speaker does not preside, or has not designated any other member as temporary presiding officer as provided in Section 14(h) of Rule IV;
- to monitor, coordinate and facilitate action on measures filed, requests, and other concerns of members representing constituencies in any of the island groups namely Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao, to which they may be assigned by the Speaker;
- to recommend to the Speaker appropriate policies, strategies and programs of action to improve the pace and quality of legislation and to effectively address issues and concerns of members on matters affecting them, their constituencies, and the overall operations and integrity of the House;
- to appoint personnel of the House when so authorized by the Speaker; and
- to perform such other duties and functions as may be assigned and/or delegated by the Speaker.
Note: Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives of the Philippines was previously called Speaker Pro-Tempore of the House of Representatives of the Philippines. The title was used until 1995.
- Mara Cepeda (August 4, 2016). "House to appoint more deputy speakers to prepare for federalism". Rappler. Retrieved September 27, 2016.
- "HOUSE LEADERS INFORMATION - DEPUTY SPEAKERS". House of Representatives of the Philippines. Retrieved September 26, 2016.