Delon Reginald Wright (born April 26, 1992) is an American professional basketball player for the Dallas Mavericks of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He played college basketball for the Utah Utes and was a first-team all-conference player in the Pac-12 in 2014 and 2015. He also earned the Bob Cousy Award in 2015.
Wright playing for the Utah Utes in 2015
|No. 55 – Dallas Mavericks|
|Position||Point guard / Shooting guard|
|Born||April 26, 1992|
Los Angeles, California
|Listed height||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Listed weight||185 lb (84 kg)|
|High school||Leuzinger (Lawndale, California)|
|NBA draft||2015 / Round: 1 / Pick: 20th overall|
|Selected by the Toronto Raptors|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at NBA.com|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
High school and junior collegeEdit
Born in Los Angeles, California, Wright led Leuzinger High School to the California state championship as a senior and was named CIF Southern Section Division 1A Player of the Year. Despite his high school success, academics led him to enroll at California Community College Athletic Association (CCCAA) school the City College of San Francisco. After two successful seasons there, he committed to Utah over Washington, Washington State, Gonzaga and Saint Mary's, despite the Utes winning only 6 games the previous season.
In his first season at Utah, Wright immediately became one of the top players in the Pac-12 Conference. He finished in the top 10 in the conference in scoring (seventh at 16.9 points per game), assists (third at 4.89), steals (first at 2.56), blocked shots (sixth at 1.3), field goal percentage (third at 56.1 percent) and free throw percentage (ninth at 80.5 percent). Wright additionally averaged 6.8 rebounds per game, despite playing the guard position. At the conclusion of the 2013–14 season, Wright became the first Ute to be named first-team All-Pac-12 and was also named to the league's All-Defensive team. Following the season, Wright considered entering the 2014 NBA draft, but ultimately decided to return to Utah for his senior season.
At the start of his senior season, Wright was named to the 50-man watch lists for the Naismith College Player of the Year and the John R. Wooden Award. For the second-straight season, he was voted first-team All-Pac-12 and again named to the Pac-12 All-Defensive Team. Wright was also a two-time member of the Pac-12 All-Defensive team and won the 2015 Bob Cousy Award.
Toronto Raptors (2015–2019)Edit
On June 25, 2015, Wright was selected with the 20th overall pick in the 2015 NBA draft by the Toronto Raptors. On July 3, 2015, he signed his rookie scale contract with the Raptors and joined the team for the 2015 NBA Summer League. On April 8, 2016, with All-Stars DeMar DeRozan and Kyle Lowry rested, Wright scored a season-high 19 points in a 111–98 win over the Indiana Pacers. During his rookie season, he had multiple assignments with Raptors 905 of the NBA Development League.
On January 3, 2018, Wright set career highs with 25 points and 13 rebounds in a 124–115 win over the Chicago Bulls. He had his first career double-double and hit four 3-pointers to lead the second unit.
Memphis Grizzlies (2019)Edit
On February 7, 2019, Wright, C. J. Miles, Jonas Valančiūnas and a 2024 second-round draft pick were traded to the Memphis Grizzlies in exchange for Marc Gasol. On April 5, he scored a career-high 26 points in a 122–112 victory over the Dallas Mavericks. He also recorded his first career triple-double adding 14 assists and 10 rebounds. Two days later, on April 7, Wright posted his second triple-double with 20 points, 12 assists and 13 rebounds in a 129–127 victory over the Dallas Mavericks. On April 10, Wright posted his third triple-double with 13 points, 11 rebounds and 11 assists in a 132–117 win over the Golden State Warriors.
Dallas Mavericks (2019–present)Edit
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- "Delon Wright's Fashion Guide on Cabbie Presents". TSN. July 6, 2018. Retrieved October 13, 2018.
- "Delon Reginald Wright". CaliforniaBirthIndex. Retrieved December 29, 2019.
- "Wright CBSSports.com profile". CBSSports.com. Retrieved December 22, 2014.
- Johnson, Raphielle (September 21, 2012). "6–5 City College of San Francisco point guard Delon Wright commits to Utah". NBCSports.com. Retrieved December 22, 2014.
- Hill, Bonta (March 4, 2014). "Fomer [sic] CCSF standout Delon Wright makes seamless transition to Division I at Utah". San Francisco Examiner. Retrieved December 22, 2014.
- "Delon Wright Utah Utes bio". Utah Utes. Archived from the original on December 27, 2014. Retrieved December 22, 2014.
- Facer, Dick (March 10, 2014). "Utah basketball: Delon Wright makes Pac-12 history for Runnin' Utes". Deseret News. Retrieved December 22, 2014.
- Dauster, Rob (March 23, 2014). "Delon Wright to return to Utah for his senior season". NBCSports.com. Retrieved December 22, 2014.
- Judd, Brandon (December 3, 2014). "BYU's Haws, Utah's Wright named to Naismith Trophy watch list". Deseret News. Retrieved December 22, 2014.
- "Utah's Delon Wright Named to Wooden Award Watch List". Utah Utes. November 17, 2014. Retrieved December 22, 2014.
- "2014–15 Pac-12 Conference Men's Basketball Honors" (Press release). Pac-12. March 9, 2015. Archived from the original on March 9, 2015.
- "Raptors Tab Wright With 20th Pick, Acquire Future First-Round Pick & Rights To Norman Powell From Bucks". National Basketball Association. June 25, 2015. Retrieved June 26, 2015.
- "Raptors Sign First-Round Pick Delon Wright". National Basketball Association. July 3, 2015. Retrieved July 3, 2015.
- "Raptors keep Pacers waiting for playoffs with 111–98 win". National Basketball Association. April 8, 2016. Archived from the original on March 21, 2017. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- "All-Time NBA Assignments". National Basketball Association. Retrieved January 3, 2018.
- "Delon Wright Injury Update". National Basketball Association. August 1, 2016. Retrieved August 2, 2016.
- "DeRozan scores 35 points, Raptors beat Bulls 124–115". ESPN. January 3, 2018. Retrieved January 3, 2018.
- "Raptors Acquire Gasol From Grizzlies". National Basketball Association. February 7, 2019. Retrieved February 7, 2019.
- "Mavericks make it official, acquiring veteran guard Delon Wright". mavs.com. July 8, 2019. Retrieved July 8, 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Delon Wright.|