Darrell G. Kirch is an American physician who is president and CEO emeritus of the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). He trained as a psychiatrist and neuroscientist, before going on to hold senior administrative positions at several medical colleges.
Education and early careerEdit
In 1994 he became Dean of the School of Medicine at the Medical College of Georgia (MCG). In 2000, Kirch he took up the positions of Dean of the Penn State College of Medicine and CEO of Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center.
He joined the AAMC's Executive Council in 2001, then in July 2006, he took up the position of president and CEO. He is a keynote speaker at multiple conferences and meetings including SUO/AADO/OPDO Combined Meeting 2018 and Association of Academic Psychiatry Annual Meeting 2018.
He is married to Deborah and they have two daughters.
Awards and honoursEdit
He was awarded the Outstanding Service Medal of the United States Public Health Service.
- "Alumni Awards: Silver & Gold Award". University of Colorado Denver. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- "Dr. Darrell G. Kirch to head the Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and Penn state's college of medicine" (Press release). Pennsylvania State University. 12 May 2000. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- "AAMC Names Next President" (Press release). www.newswise.com. 29 November 2005. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- "2018 Association of Academic Psychiatry Annual Meeting - Whova". 2018-09-05. Retrieved 2018-10-22.
- "2018 SUO/AADO/OPDO Combined Meeting". 2018-11-09. Retrieved 2018-10-22.
- "AAMC to search for new leader as Darrell Kirch steps down after almost a dozen years". FierceHealthcare. Retrieved 2019-07-15.
- "A conversation with David J. Skorton, MD". news.aamc.org. Retrieved 2019-07-15.
- Deam, Jenny (October 2011). "Colorado Shaped AAMC President Darrell Kirch". CU Medicine Today. University of Colorado. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- "Honorary Degrees, University Medals and Distinguished Service Awards 2001-pres". University of Colorado. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- biography at AAMC