Borough of Darmstadt
|Subdivisions||5 statistical districts|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
In the north Eberstadt borders to the boroughs of Bessungen and Darmstadt-West, in the east and south to the municipalities Mühltal, Seeheim-Jugenheim and in the west to the town of Pfungstadt. Eberstadt is a part of the Bergstraße. Between Eberstadt and Zwingenberg it splits into the "Old" and "New" Bergstraße (Bundesstraße 3).
There are 5 statistical districts subdividing Eberstadt:
Eberstadt spreads mainly along Heidelberger Landstraße. This corresponds to the course of the tramline to Darmstadt. At its historical village centre (Alt-Eberstadt) is the old intersection between the north-southern-tended Heidelberger Landstraße, the eastbound Mühltalstraße and the westbound Pfungstädter Straße. In former times this point marked the cross-point of Bundesstraße 3 and Bundestraße 426, but both interregional important roads were later moved outside the town as bypass.
Eberstadt spreads out mainly northwards from the centre in direction to Darmstadt. In all other directions around the centre it spread evenly, so that today it has a form of a bottle lined up to the north. This development is comparable to other towns in the circle around Darmstadt like Griesheim or Weiterstadt.
The Villenkolonie, marking the bond between Alt-Eberstadt and Darmstadt(-Bessungen), is the northern "bottle-neck" of Eberstadt. It follows in the direction from Darmstadt to Eberstadt the housing areas of the U.S. Army Garrison Darmstadt around Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne.
This upscale residential area is located mainly eastwards from Heidelberger Landstraße at the northern Odenwald-slopes. According to inscriptions at some villas, they were built around the turn of the 20th century. The northern parts are built in a former forest, so there are many trees between the houses, which gives the area the typical quiet, shady environment.
Alt-Eberstadt is the oldest part of Eberstadt. Contrary to Villenkolonie the houses here are predominantly build wall-on-wall. Some houses in Oberstraße and Heidelberger Landstraße are older than 300 years. Many of these old buildings provide an insight into an agricultural past of the village. Along the Heidelberger Landstraße are three notable points in Alt-Eberstadt, all of them are also tramstations.
The northernmost first is the town-centre, which is at Wartehalle, the central bus- & tramstation. From this point southwards is the shoppingstreet of Eberstadt, which runs up to the second notable point, the Modaubrücke, where the Heidelberger Landstraße crosses the creek Modau, and the intersection of north–south and east–west roads is located. The Protestant church, first mentioned in 1379, marks the third point. It is built upon a hill, where it can be seen from all directions, making it a landmarks of Eberstadt.
Eberstadt was in the time of Charlemagne a small town south of the River Vltava, at the intersection of two trade routes; one was a Roman road from Ladenburg. The first documentary mention of Eberstadt is in a document about Walther and Gemahlin Williswind at the Lorsch Abbey, dated 1 September 782.
The Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt acquired the residence in 1661. Later the Frankenstein owner sold their property and moved to Middle Franconia.
The Thirty Year War was hard on Eberstadt. In January 1635, the city was burned down by French troops almost completely. Only a few houses remained standing. The surviving inhabitants fled behind the walls of the Darmstadt, where many of them died of the plague. By the end of the war in 1648 very few remained in Eberstadt; it took 40 years to rebuild the community.
In the 18th century much improvement came to Eberstadt. The tourists came to Eberstadt along with new trade and commerce. The main road saw many new inns.
In the 19th century there was new industrialization, along with the new Main-Neckar-Bahn. The population rose sharply. Built in 1847, the Eberstadt City Hall still stands.
On 1 April 1937 the then independent Eberstadt municipality became part of Darmstadt.
Coat of armsEdit
The present coat of arms in use today was established in 1972. It shows a boar in the upper field and acorns at the bottom. The upper half of the shield is yellow, the lower black, the boar dark red, his tusks are white. With the colors red and gold are from the Lords of Frankenstein.
The oldest seal impressions is from 1617. The name Eberstadt, can possibly be attributed to a name, probably of that the Frankish nobleman, who in the 7th or early 8th Century founded the settlement.
Eberstadt is situated at the Bundesautobahn 5 at the next exit just southwards the Autobahn-interchange Darmstädter Kreuz.
Besides B3 tangents the east-western-directed Bundestraße 426 Eberstadt. This is one of the major connections from the Bundesautobahn 5 to the Odenwald. In eastern direction it connects Eberstadt to Mühltal, Ober-Ramstadt and the Odenwald, in western direction to Pfungstadt and Gernsheim.
Trams & BusesEdit
At Wartehalle, the central bus & tram-station, are given tram-connections to Darmstadt-city and the northern parts of the Bergstraße, e.g. Seeheim-Jugenheim, Alsbach and bus connections to Mühltal and Pfungstadt both with the regional transportation company RMV. The bus VIA25227, Bus P and Bus PE serve the town.
Boroughs of DarmstadtEdit
As borough of Darmstadt, Eberstadt has no sister cities, so sister cities are a matter of whole the city of Darmstadt (see Darmstadt's sister cities). In a development area at the southeastern border (district Am Frankenstein), some streets are named according to Darmstadt's sister cities, e.g. Chesterfieldstraße or Grazstraße.
- Statistische Berichte 2/2007 Wissenschaftsstadt Darmstadt (pdf), S.24[permanent dead link] (statistical facts of Darmstadt, retrieved 2008-07-08)
- Darmstadt, Stadtteile, statistische Bezirke (pdf) (Darmstadt, boroughs, statistical districts, retrieved 2008-07-08)
- Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler der Stadt Darmstadt, edited by Georg Haupt (1952). Published by the Landeskonservator von Hessen. Eduard Roehter Verlag Darmstadt, p.298ff
- Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler der Stadt Darmstadt, edited by Georg Haupt (1952). Published by the Landeskonservator von Hessen. Eduard Roehter Verlag Darmstadt, p.305ff
- http://www.graf-von-katzenelnbogen.de/ The History of the County of Katzenelnbogen and the First Riesling of the World
- "www.dadina.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Dokumente/2009/Belegungs-__Netzplaene/20081117_DA_STRABA_2008_4.pdf" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-11-22. Retrieved 2009-10-20.
- Statistischer Ueberblick ('Statistical overview', from the official city website, in German)