Ivor Daniel Mindel, ASC, BSC, SASC (born 27 May 1958) is a South African-American cinematographer best known for his work on blockbuster action films like Enemy of the State, Mission: Impossible III, Star Trek, Star Trek: Into Darkness, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, working with directors like Tony Scott and J. J. Abrams.
Ivor Daniel Mindel
May 27, 1958
|Years active||1992 – present|
Life and careerEdit
Mindel was born in Johannesburg and received education in Australia and in Britain. He began his career as a camera loader before becoming a clapper loader and assistant cameraman on John Boorman's 1985 film, The Emerald Forest, under French cinematographer Philippe Rousselot. He soon after moved to the United States and began working on commercials for Ridley and Tony Scott, among several other directors.
Throughout the 1990s, Mindel worked as a camera operator or photographer on feature films directed by either Tony Scott or Ridley Scott, including Thelma & Louise and Crimson Tide. In 1997, Mindel was assigned as second unit director of photography on Ridley Scott's G.I. Jane. This opened the door for Mindel to become director of photography on Tony Scott's 1998 action-thriller, Enemy of the State.
Mindel went on to serve as director of photography for films such as Shanghai Noon, Stuck on You, The Skeleton Key, John Carter, and Tony Scott's Spy Game and Domino. He has also done additional photography for the films The Bourne Identity and Lions for Lambs.
Director J. J. Abrams selected Mindel to be director of photography on 2006's Mission: Impossible III. Mindel worked with Abrams again as the cinematographer of 2009's Star Trek and its follow-up, Star Trek Into Darkness.
Mindel was the director of photography on Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which was released on December 18, 2015. He was later announced to return to the franchise with Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, also directed by Abrams, which commenced filming on August 1, 2018 at Pinewood Studios.
Mindel is married to Lisa Fallon Mindel and has four children, Samuel, Eden, Molly, and Lily.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
As director of photographyEdit
|1992||Red Shoe Diaries||Michael Kalbernikoff
|Television series - 3 episodes|
|1996||Recon||Breck Eisner||Short film|
|Dangerous Minds||James Hayman||Television series - 1 episode|
|1998||Enemy of the State||Tony Scott||Replaced Dariusz Wolski|
|2000||Shanghai Noon||Tom Dey|
|Sand||Matt Palmieri||with John Skotchdopole|
|2001||Spy Game||Tony Scott|
|2003||Stuck on You||The Farrelly Brothers|
|The Skeleton Key||Iain Softley|
|2006||Mission: Impossible III||J. J. Abrams|
|2012||John Carter||Andrew Stanton|
|2013||Star Trek Into Darkness||J. J. Abrams|
|2014||The Amazing Spider-Man 2||Marc Webb|
|2015||Star Wars: The Force Awakens||J. J. Abrams|
|2016||Zoolander No. 2||Ben Stiller|
|2018||Pacific Rim: Uprising||Steven S. DeKnight|
|The Cloverfield Paradox||Julius Onah|
|2019||Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker||J. J. Abrams||Post-production|
|1983||The Hunger||Tony Scott||Stephen Goldblatt||Assistant camera operator||Uncredited|
|1985||The Emerald Forest||John Boorman||Philippe Rousselot|
|1990||Revenge||Tony Scott||Jeffrey L. Kimball||Focus puller|
|1991||Thelma & Louise||Ridley Scott||Adrian Biddle||Camera operator|
|1995||Crimson Tide||Tony Scott||Dariusz Wolski||Additional photography|
|White Squall||Ridley Scott||Hugh Johnson|
|1997||G.I. Jane||Second unit photography|
|2002||The Bourne Identity||Doug Liman||Oliver Wood||Additional photography||with Don Burgess|
|2007||Lions for Lambs||Robert Redford||Philippe Rousselot||with Phil Méheux|
- "DANIEL MINDEL". www.cinematographers.nl. Retrieved 2019-01-21.
- "Dan Mindel, ASC, BSC – Murtha Skouras Agency". Retrieved 2019-01-21.
- Heuring, David (May 1, 2013). "Irola Finishing Basque Documentary; Mindel Finds Solace in Sailing". American Cinematographer. American Society of Cinematographers. Retrieved October 15, 2019.
- "DANIEL MINDEL".
- "Dan Mindel, ASC, BSC: Q&A - The American Society of Cinematographers". ascmag.com. Retrieved 2019-01-21.
- "Star Wars Episode VII will be shot on 35mm film to recapture 70s feel". Telegraph.co.uk. 23 August 2013.
- "Dan Mindel ASC BSC / Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens". British Cinematographer. 2016-02-01. Retrieved 2019-01-21.
- "Dan Mindel shares photo from early work on Star Wars: Episode IX?". Making Star Wars. 2018-06-07. Retrieved 2019-01-21.
- Hipes, Patrick; Hipes, Patrick (2018-07-27). "'Star Wars: Episode IX' Rounds Out Cast, Which Will Include Carrie Fisher In Unreleased Footage". Deadline. Retrieved 2019-01-21.